Zinchenko possible Holding Midfielder

I am doubtful that Zinc could do the holding midfielder job at the top level but he could be an option against lower table sides.
I would not have thought Gundo could play the role but he did to good effect a few years ago when Fern was out.

Fair point Seth, how about a 8 when seeing out a game?
We’ve got so much depth in the midfield position so I don’t see it happening, especially with the high standards Pep demands from his midfielders. Next season, we will have Bernardo, Gundogan, De Bruyne and even Foden all starting above Zinchenko in midfield. His best position is undoubtedly in midfield and I fear that he might want to prove himself in his preferred position at another club. Zinchenko is the perfect squad player — very versatile and gives everything for the badge but I don’t think he will ever be anything more than that. Of course, he will occasionally feature in midfield (as he did against PSG last year) but, as long as he is at Manchester City, Zinchenko will mainly be a left back.

The Scottish midfield are squad players in mid to bottom Premier league or if they move to England that is the teams they would move to. If Zinchenko moved to any of their clubs he would be in the team ahead of them.

However when City are playing against top 4 Premier League or into the CL Quarter finals onwards - will he boss his central midfield competition in the same way that Rodri does, or in those moments where the DM needs to cover for both full backs bombing forward and stop the break coming at us, can he do it? - much as I like him, I don't think so.

Having said that, one of things that has constantly impressed is his ability to adapt, learn and surprise - so you never know. But on the whole I think he is our perfect squad player and whilst he stays with us, that will be his role.

I’ve got a better chance of getting in a Pep Team in midfield than Zinchenko.

And that’s not knocking Zinchenko. I fucking adore the lad and am desperate for him to stay. But for us at least he’s a left back - and a very solid one.

We can't get rid of this man. We saw again yesterday what he can do. Albeit a lower quality game than in the prem, but he shone again and was the best player on the pitch. Even when 'the best left back in the world' was apparently playing for the opposition. He was just a cut above. I do really hope that even with signing a left back we still use zinchenko at lb and in other positions. He loves the club and he's influential to city on and off the field.

A great squad player and unlike some of our players usually does have an impact from the bench , he gets up to speed of a game immediately , should never be sold we are not short of £20m so far better to keep him as an able deputy to Cancelo. He might cut it as a defensive midfield player at a mid table club or a less demanding european league but not at the elite level we play.
No doubt Zinchenko does have a mistake in him like most players but for honest endeavour and commitment there are few better.

Who else watched the Ukraine vs Scotland game last night? Personally thought Zincheko was absolutely mustard and looked every bit City class… my question I put forward is….. would anyone see zinchenko as a holding midfielder in the future? Before you answer have a think, he totally bosses that game in said position last night?

EDIT : Or failing that as a number 8?
He was left midfield. I thought he was more in the Gundo role and I think he could do a job for us in that role. Fwiw, I thought he was brilliant.

He did lose quite a few physical challenges though so I don't see him as a DM, I really don't think he is strong enough.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.