Zinchenko possible Holding Midfielder

Who else watched the Ukraine vs Scotland game last night? Personally thought Zincheko was absolutely mustard and looked every bit City class… my question I put forward is….. would anyone see zinchenko as a holding midfielder in the future? Before you answer have a think, he totally bosses that game in said position last night?

EDIT : Or failing that as a number 8?
Yes, easily.

He was up against mid table Prem players in that Scotland game the other night and he looked head and shoulders the best midfielder on the pitch.

He started the game as an 8 and ended the game as a 6 and was brilliant at both.

He could easily be our rotation 6 when Rodri needs a rest. He’s more mobile than Calvin Philips n’all, and a better passer of the ball.

I doubt Zinchenko could adapt enough to be a DM but i think Stones could.
I would say Stones has the edge with his passing
Zinny is not bad with his right foot. He chooses not to use for the most part.

When Zinny countered against Scotland. He cut inside. And had runners left and right of him. He chose to pass to the runner on his right using his left foot.

When I thought he should have gone to the runner on his left. In which case he would have used his right foot.

Stones is much more balanced.

Zinny though. Made a poor team look Sunday league.
He's too good for anyone outside top five

I want us to keep Ake and Zinchenko, between them they kept our Premier League Champions ambition on track when others were injured/suspended. I think Zinchenko could play as back-up for Rodri, but it is a matter of how much he wants game time and how happy he is at City. Ake is more than a utility defender, without him we would have not made the semis in the Champions League and we would have finished second in the Premier League. You can’t let guys like that go. Up front more difficult, we will almost certainly lose Jesus or Sterling IMHO.

Oleksandr Zinchenko: The man leading Ukraine​

Zinchenko and his team-mates are fighting for a cause far greater than just reaching the World Cup, writes Douglas Alexander​

%2Fmethode%2Fsundaytimes%2Fprod%2Fweb%2Fbin%2Fa19621cc-e42a-11ec-b1fd-7961028c5981.jpg

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/...1?shareToken=166fe4b7e199f710e54dedcac9eda020

The article is on a free token so anyone can read it.

Last edited:
I've watched all the Manchester City games live and rebroadcast when I can not watch live. Oleksandr Zinchenko transferred from Ufa to Manchester City for a fee of $2millions. During his Ufa career, he played in various positions including right, left, central and attacking midfield and left-back ;-) while at PSV Eindhoven he played one game at defensive midfield his first game in his senior club career at that position. He came on in the 58 Minutes for an injured Davy Propper.
Zinchenko at Mancity has also played different positions

when Pep needed him. He played defensive midfield against Burnley Fc in match day 36 in a double pivot with Gundogan. The team won the game. Therefore FantasyIreland Pep have thought about it but he has not been
pressured to make a major decision in that position with Gundogan, Rodri, Fernandinho and Bernardo all able to play that position while the left-back position was lacking quality during that season.

Zinny would probably be more of a holding midfielder than a defensive midfielder. A player in the Rodri or Jorginho role doing interceptions, tactical fouls and progressive passing.

Therefore we all can have different opinions on Zinny but one thing we all can agree on is that he has been a good servant. If they sell him for 20 million I will be disappointed because he is worth more than that to the club and fans.

I do like a lot of the points you make.

What some fans don't seem to clock is that the ability the player brings to a team set up depends on who is around that player, i.e., they will play differently with or in different teams.

Zinchenko tends to drive his national team, like he's on a mission, taking responsibility for certain plays. At team level, he can be disciplined within a role. Fernandinho was never a centre back, but did the job required to the best of his skill set.

The portion underlined, is probably how I think of Zinchenko, within the team.

Needs to play with a bit more ambition. Playing it safe for City works 90 percent of the time because of the better players around him. He needs to drive on a bit for Ukraine.

Needs to play with a bit more ambition. Playing it safe for City works 90 percent of the time because of the better players around him. He needs to drive on a bit for Ukraine.
He’s not necessarily playing it safe. He’s creating space for himself and team mates.
He also sees the pictures. He’s just waiting for the right picture to pop up.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.