Neville/Giggs's plans for Manchester city centre.

I work in the world of professionals and high finance in the city (I’m based in a big glass building in spinning fields). You do inevitably get a range of people coming in to professional jobs because they all generally bring some technical skills or qualifications with them. You can’t run a law firm by hiring kids out of the local high school – you need law graduates and experienced lawyers who generally have a more rounded accent. That said all the firms I have worked for and deal with are overwhelmingly staffed by people from Manchester or at least the North West. In my office I would say 6 out of 10 are from within 10 miles of the city center and the other 4 would come from a mix of the wider UK and Europe, I don’t see a problem.

thats the experience I've had tbh. I've only worked in bars, retail and had an internship in a design studio and id say 90% of the people I've worked with come from manchester or the surrounding areas.

Well said bud.
I agree entirely and welcome skilled foreigners to the area.
Just sad that housing is more inaccessible for lower income folk such as myself.

But one issue which needs addressing majorally is our public transport which is fucking shit.

The last trams run at 12:30am (ish)
Yet Manchester's nightlife doesn't switch on until say after 1am with the bars/clubs which target the student populous.

Desperately need a tube/underground system and or trams which run into the early hours, which would benefit the nighttime economy.

there are lots of cheap houses in north/east manchester tbf. its just the city centre Imo thats becoming unaffordable. the outer areas are alright price wise and still full of mancunians ;)

There are around 10 tall towers planned for Manchester (half have already started construction).
I think the issue with this development is the poor public realm (not really public). Looks rushed and cramming in all the things you're 'supposed' to plop into such developments (piazza, grand steps, shite bands playing outdoors for godsake...City square aside!).
The tower themselves aren't particularly bad (I quite like them) but perhaps in the wrong area by some yards.

These steps for example...that street goes downhill, but they've built steps going up a (non existant) hill:

3031845_St-Michaels-Steps_Gary-Neville_Ryan-Giggs_Brendan-Flood_Rowsley_BCEGI_Manchester-City-Council.jpg

Melbourne is chucking up skyscrapers by the day (and still has a historic feel to the city) and it hasn't it done much harm.
Manchester isn't Cambridge or Bath - it doesn't have that type of city scape, so has to think differently (despite what any London hacks might write).

BTW - this is planned for Quay Street (ex Granada site) - one of perhaps another three in close proximity, with a possible 4-6 tall towers very close by (Trinity Towers):

SJPTower_View04Drone_Dusk_FINAL.jpg

And the Owen Street Towers (now under construction):

JS87772745.jpg

There are around 10 tall towers planned for Manchester (half have already started construction).
I think the issue with this development is the poor public realm (not really public). Looks rushed and cramming in all the things you're 'supposed' to plop into such developments (piazza, grand steps, shite bands playing outdoors for godsake...City square aside!).
The tower themselves aren't particularly bad (I quite like them) but perhaps in the wrong area by some yards.

These steps for example...that street goes downhill, but they've built steps going up a (non existant) hill:

3031845_St-Michaels-Steps_Gary-Neville_Ryan-Giggs_Brendan-Flood_Rowsley_BCEGI_Manchester-City-Council.jpg

Melbourne is chucking up skyscrapers by the day (and still has a historic feel to the city) and it hasn't it done much harm.
Manchester isn't Cambridge or Bath - it doesn't have that type of city scape, so has to think differently (despite what any London hacks might write).

BTW - this is planned for Quay Street (ex Granada site) - one of perhaps another three in close proximity, with a possible 4-6 tall towers very close by (Trinity Towers):

SJPTower_View04Drone_Dusk_FINAL.jpg

And the Owen Street Towers (now under construction):

JS87772745.jpg
Most have no objection to tall buildings per se in Manchester, don't forget the CIS tower was I think the tallest in the UK in 1960...pre post office tower London.
The 'skyscrapers' need to go in the proper sites though. Slapping that pair on Bootle St is completely the wrong location, and would lead to other even more historic sites going 'on offer'.
The quartet of handsome beasts on Owen St, I think are the offspring of @worsleyweb

I agree, but there's a chance this could put a spanner in the works for skyscrapers going in Manchester in the future.
MAKE are decent architects but I think they've been asked to fit a square peg in a round hole here.
Ian Simpson is a local architect (and of course controversial given the sheer number of buildings he's developed in the city - including those Owen Street Towers).
The St. John's tower is pretty special though.

I agree, but there's a chance this could put a spanner in the works for skyscrapers going in Manchester in the future.
MAKE are decent architects but I think they've been asked to fit a square peg in a round hole here.
Ian Simpson is a local architect (and of course controversial given the sheer number of buildings he's developed in the city - including those Owen Street Towers).
The St. John's tower is pretty special though.
The St John tower is nice. I like slender. MAKE have 'thumbed this one in ' mate, no appreciation for the site scape at all. They will of course now offer these towers to sites various across the globe until it suits one.
The sheer number of buildings Simpson has 'got through planning' is quite remarkable. But I won't remark upon it here.

Most have no objection to tall buildings per se in Manchester, don't forget the CIS tower was I think the tallest in the UK in 1960...pre post office tower London.
The 'skyscrapers' need to go in the proper sites though. Slapping that pair on Bootle St is completely the wrong location, and would lead to other even more historic sites going 'on offer'.
The quartet of handsome beasts on Owen St, I think are the offspring of @worsleyweb

3 floors down 61 to go!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.