Benjamin Mendy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah but Clichy isn't a dribbler, only attempted 9 this season and completed 7. Mendy has attempted 66 and completed 37.

Didn't look lightning fast vs Sterling..He has pace but he is not rapid.

He is ok in the air & should be better given his size..Wins just over 50% of his headers compared to Kolarov who is about the same size and wins 65% of his.
Sure it's a much smaller sample size, but Mendy had a higher take on percentage than both Sandro and Alves during the CL.
Mendy had 67%, Sandro had 52%, and Alves had 63%. He's so young (a 94 baby) and young players aren't as consistent so I think this stat shows his potential if he can focus for a whole league campaign as he did in the CL where the whole Monaco team looked very hungry.

Perisic was Caligiuri's backup in Wolfsburg lol sometimes Mourinho makes strange signings , You are right the Mendy'signing probably won't seem to crazy considering other made for inferior players but the chance to run out of budget is very concrete for me
If its 50 million, it will look crazy. Just like Stones was ludicrous at 47 million, this would be ludicrous at 50.

We should stop pretending there is a sky rocketing market out there. There isn't one. There are just a few teams who tend to buy at excessive prices; Real, PSG the rags and us. That's pretty much the list of repeat offenders.

50 million will make Mendy the joint most expensive defender ever. He is not in the top 30 defenders in the world today. So what the fuck are we doing paying top 3 money for?

The main reason why its often hard to move dead weight is because of this style of purchase. Even the mindset that price = production is sad. Generally for top end players? sure. For squad and role guys? Hell no. And make no mistake, Mendy is a role player.

In fairness, neither should ours.

How much did the Rags spend on Shaw ? With add ons I seem to recall it was almost 40m. We need to look long term and buy quality - it's cheaper in the long run. As Shaw shows crap full backs can be as expensive as good ones.

If its 50 million, it will look crazy. Just like Stones was ludicrous at 47 million, this would be ludicrous at 50.

We should stop pretending there is a sky rocketing market out there. There isn't one. There are just a few teams who tend to buy at excessive prices; Real, PSG the rags and us. That's pretty much the list of repeat offenders.

50 million will make Mendy the joint most expensive defender ever. He is not in the top 30 defenders in the world today. So what the fuck are we doing paying top 3 money for?

The main reason why its often hard to move dead weight is because of this style of purchase. Even the mindset that price = production is sad. Generally for top end players? sure. For squad and role guys? Hell no. And make no mistake, Mendy is a role player.

A role player?

Mendy is wanted by many top clubs. He is France's starting LB and has the potential to be one of the top 3 left backs in the world. He will be an automatic starter here and would be at Barcelona as well. Think he will go for 40m. The market for top LBs is very small and if thats the price, then thats the price, we won't have to buy another one for years.

How much did the Rags spend on Shaw ? With add ons I seem to recall it was almost 40m. We need to look long term and buy quality - it's cheaper in the long run. As Shaw shows crap full backs can be as expensive as good ones.
Like I've pointed pointedout in my diatribe. There are 4 offenders in world football. Real Madrid, PSG, rags, and City. That is the list of teams that consistently pay ridiculous prices. The market is quite stable outside of those 4.

You have obviously seen plenty of Monaco games and don't rate this guy, but do you think Bernardo Silva is decent value?

Value is difficult to guage, with rumours of a 130 million bid for Mbappe. But in the sense that he is 10 years younger than a 50 mill valued Alexis maybe not so crazy.

Like I've pointed pointedout in my diatribe. There are 4 offenders in world football. Real Madrid, PSG, rags, and City. That is the list of teams that consistently pay ridiculous prices. The market is quite stable outside of those 4.
Not too sure about that Barca spent just last summer €70m on shit like Alcacer and Gomes combined.

Agreed the prices in the market are fair excluding those teams you've mentioned.

Perfect example is West Brom chasing Deeney with Watford saying his value is £35 million. Plenty of value in the market.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.