Diabetes

I was diagnosed with type2 at the end of May.
The nurse said Metformin was the way for me.
I'm already taking 3 different pills for high BP. I really didn't want to take more.
I read about metformin and fuck That, no way I'm taking that shit.
So I bought studied and started the 8 week blood sugar diet, about 6 weeks ago. I also quit the booze.
I've followed it religiously and must say some of the recipes are excellent. The chilli and fish pie ones in particular.
No bread, no chips, no mash, no pasta. After this time I can't say I miss them. I was diagnosed at 19 bsg initially. It's currently at 7 and I've almost lost 2 stone.
The stuff I've read says it can be reversed. I hope so.
The doctors and nurses don't give a shit. It's easier to dole out pills than spend time educating people. The way I feel at the moment is almost like an ambassador for this lifestyle. I tell everyone I deal with about the diet and I'm probably getting to the point of being a bore. But the proof of the pudding is in folk commenting on how well I look , noticing the weight loss and my general wellbeing.
Go for it, try it!
What you got to lose. I don't want them cutting bits off me as I get older. That's my inspiration.
Oh and my BP is down by 20/10 .

Fantastic stuff BOJ do you feel healthier? will you modify your diet later on when you're completely stable?

Strange isnt it.......

Do some exercise,don't eat shite or to excess,and you start looking,and feeling,better!

Who'd have thought??

Seriously though,fair play to those that have seen the light and educated themselves.

My 2 brothers and my mum are now diabetic,it's gone in age from mum down and i'm the youngest

I'm not there yet but i have gone down the low sugar route(aside from fruit and milk) and only eating twice a day,i have lost 3 stone most of it the dangerous belly fat,i wasn't really overweight for my height but the belly fat had to go

I slipped up at xmas,my birthday at easter in that order so i'm not perfect but i felt like crap every time and feel much better eating cleaner

I've done my best but if it gets me it's not for the want of trying to dodge it

Strange isnt it.......

Do some exercise,don't eat shite or to excess,and you start looking,and feeling,better!

Who'd have thought??

Seriously though,fair play to those that have seen the light and educated themselves.
I read the other day that the NHS were issuing 'lifestyle prescriptions' for the newly diagnosed. Basically a prescription for exercise, weight loss, dietary advice and cooking skills. The only problem being that it was for 12 weeks only, then you're left to yourself.

Really impressed with some of the responses on here, whenever I discuss starting medication for T2 DM I always say this can be reversed by improving diet an exercise the majority of patients cant stick to it though. The Newcastle diet scares a lot of folk but lower carbs diets appear to be more accepted and tend to direct them to http://www.diabetes.co.uk/diet/low-carb-diabetes-diet.html to start. Also the X-pert patient groups are useful especially in Manchester.

We are also slightly hamstrung by recent cases of patients suing their Dr for not starting medication in the pre-diabetes stage (theres an argument about whether this truly exists) which encourages to go straight to medication rather than reviewing again in a few months. I would much prefer to really push exercise, weight loss and healthy eating as this helps from a cardiovascular and a mental health point of view.

Now then how do we get city to stop selling pie and chips>????

Really impressed with some of the responses on here, whenever I discuss starting medication for T2 DM I always say this can be reversed by improving diet an exercise the majority of patients cant stick to it though. The Newcastle diet scares a lot of folk but lower carbs diets appear to be more accepted and tend to direct them to http://www.diabetes.co.uk/diet/low-carb-diabetes-diet.html to start. Also the X-pert patient groups are useful especially in Manchester.

We are also slightly hamstrung by recent cases of patients suing their Dr for not starting medication in the pre-diabetes stage (theres an argument about whether this truly exists) which encourages to go straight to medication rather than reviewing again in a few months. I would much prefer to really push exercise, weight loss and healthy eating as this helps from a cardiovascular and a mental health point of view.

Now then how do we get city to stop selling pie and chips>????

The issue I am going to discuss with my Dr is the calorie amount because I have a genuine fear of having a hypo with 600 calories a day. I can't see the harm in cutting out carbs to see how I go and it's worth a shot.

The food industry and pharma are cap in hand keep you sick but keep you alive means ££££ too many prescription docs to treat symptoms instead of route causes too much dosh involved. That's why I don't trust every clinical study sometimes you have to look at who is funding these trials usually one of the big sugar companies. Look after your own health people blood pressure monitors are cheap, blood sugar meters check pre and post meal blood sugar levels foods that spike you into another planet restrict or cut them out.

The issue I am going to discuss with my Dr is the calorie amount because I have a genuine fear of having a hypo with 600 calories a day. I can't see the harm in cutting out carbs to see how I go and it's worth a shot.

You'll fcuk your hormones up eating such low calories mate.

Yes don't do it without running it by your doctor,you can also ask to see a nutritionist as well

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.