Basque and Catalan groups protest ''Tourists Go Home''

As much as you think this is an issue they let it happen. If you are going to allow cheap hotels, even cheaper bars and cheap flights to come into your country then you will have to put up with the baggage that comes with it. Unfortunately Spain got greedy. Now a few people are complaining mainly due to youth unemployment/ lack of cheap housing stock but without the tourists how do they think they will pay for it all?

They should be having a go at the government and not the hand that feeds them.

Look what happened to Greece. An economy based on tourism is very fickle.

Spain? It does what it says on the tin but I will say this...if you go away from the Blackpool by the sea areas and explore a bit you will find a wonderful country full of history, good food and drink and lovely people. I despair sometimes at people who go to Spain for 10 days expecting to find English style pubs and food. Why not just stay at home?
Agreed, though there's no need to disrespect the cultural heartland of the northwest.

In relation to the thread, I liked this bit of graffiti we saw in Venice. Ain't far from the truth..

3LLFaUU.jpg

Know there are big protests in Venice too with the huge cruise ships, think the biggest have now been banned. I know msot venitians live off the island now even though there are empty apartments they are still way too expensive for those serving the tourists.

That's also about pollution and erosion by the big ships. Burning diesel while in ports is a problem everywhere including Southampton.

Most countries have their "revolutionary" hot heads who like to whip up the impressionable to blame all their problems on "foreign invaders " - this isn't the first example and it won't be the last. Spain's issues over unemployment - particularly youth unemployment - rising prices and property issues ( boom and bust in recent years ) have been going on for some time. Has to be said any Spaniard who gives it 5 minutes thought will conclude that stopping tourism that is so vital to your GDP isn't the answer. Aren't UK tourists by far the highest in number to Majorca?

Meibion Glyndwr

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/meibion-glyndwr-bombing-holiday-homes-10083817

Having recently returned from a cycle tour to Portugal I can honestly say that the Spanish people we encountered were very hospitable. We cycled through the Basque region through Pamplona, Burgos etc. What was noticeable was that the southern towns were much more upmarket than their northern counterparts. I wouldn't hesitate to return to any of the country, it's fabulous.

Stopped going to Spain years ago after a barman on a beach bar on Denia beach started being a funny fucker and did everything to serve me last or not serve me at all even though i had my young kids with me, the then Wife said fuck it we are not coming here again
We relented 5 years later and went to Gran Canaria and the Canarians were slightly better but still a bit iffy sometimes, seemed they wanted the German money and not ours
Two years later had to go to a family wedding in Fuengirola and the Spanish made it obvious of their contempt for all things English, and no i was not being paranoid a lot of other people in the hotel were of the same opinion, never been back since, it's Greece or Malta for me and probably Croatia next June, fuck em, hope the country goes bankrupt

Maybe if you had visited the" real" Spain your experience would have been much different. Blackpool and Skegness are the equivalent in this Country, would you go there.?
I have had a house in Spain for 20 years, it is a wonderful diverse country, the people are mostly as friendly and welcoming as anywhere.

Let the idiots protest about the tourist cash cow and when there isn't a pot to piss in they can always hold their hands out to the EU. Oh wait a minute, Catalans and Basques you say, did you mention independance and standing on your own two feet.?

My ex missus is Basque.

I can't say I have much respect for their cause and that's nothing to do with the fact she's my ex.

Maybe if you had visited the" real" Spain your experience would have been much different. Blackpool and Skegness are the equivalent in this Country, would you go there.?
I have had a house in Spain for 20 years, it is a wonderful diverse country, the people are mostly as friendly and welcoming as anywhere.
Denia 35 years ago WAS the real Spain, nowt there except a harbour, a castle, a beach and a few apts, when i want lessons on Spanish tourism i will get in touch with Judith Chalmers....thank you

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.