Are the match going fans the last piece in Pep's revolution?

I welcome all our new fans,and i think its great that we attract any new fans at all.Better get use to it now peps in charge,i had no choice but to support city dad and grandad took me in late 60s and early seventies,apart from breaks due to playing football never stopped going.
Our new fans are choosing city now cos of the story,and pep has took us to a new level,lets all enjoy the ride together its going to be so exciting.
Lets all sing louder....

i dont have a problem with new fans as long as we keep our core match going fan base. if the etihad ends up like old trafford - large numbers of people who are tourists and plastics I think it wouldn't really be manchester city anymore for me. i dont want a situation where most local or longstanding blues are priced out or in the pubs. we need to keep our identity/fans as they make our club what it is.

Last edited:
As far as I’m concerned, & I’ve supported City for over 60 yrs, anyone who buys a ticket for City, shouts & cheers along with the rest of us is a City fan. Not a tourist a fan, you’ve taken the time to come & watch & shout & cheer on my (our) beloved team, you’re a fan mate. Plus even if people can’t get to matches but watch us on TV, cheer at the screen you’re a fan!!
Quite right. I had the pleasure of watching the Huddersfield game in Phoenix, with the Desert Blues OSC in the City pub there. These people were passionate about our club, even though most have never been to Manchester.

i dont have a problem with new fans as long as we keep our core match going fan base. if the etihad ends up like old trafford - large numbers of people who are tourists and plastics I think it wouldn't really be manchester city anymore for me. i dont want a situation where most local or longstanding blues are priced out or in the pubs. we need to keep our identity/fans as they make our club what it is.

alright well i probably didnt use the right words. i think theres a difference. new fans who love the club, will support it no matter what and genuinely want to be there and fans ( who i class as plastics) that are the opposite of that. there only there as a kind of day out and dont really support us, which is what we are seeing a bit in bigger games.

my basic point is that i dont want us to lose our core support. which is what has happened at united and liverpool. if your going to improve the atmosphere you need to keep that at the club.

Last edited:
alright well i probably didnt use the right words. i think theres a difference. new fans who love the club, will support it no matter what and genuinely want to be there and fans ( who i class as plastics) that are the opposite of that. there only there as a kind of day out and dont really support us, which is what we are seeing a bit in bigger games.

my basic point is that i dont want us to lose our core support. which is what has happened at united and liverpool. if your going to improve the atmosphere you need to keep that at the club.

Understood. No prob. Tbf, though, I very much doubt united and Liverpool have lost their core support. I’m sure their core consists mainly of fans of quite long standing, of whom many will stay loyal through leaner years. They do, however, have a sizeable “outer layer” of the more casual fans that you describe.

Like it or not, it’s inevitable as we “go global” that we will experience exactly the same thing. Probably best to embrace it, and welcome the fact that a growing number of people all over the world are feeling entertained and enthused by our beloved club. Equally, I do agree that we need to nurture our core base who have stood by the club through thick and thin.

Tier 2 is designated for corporate, not currently the case in SS, but it will be when the NS is extended.

Had the singing area been put in SS3 it would have worked, because of the roof, and the noise created would have spread elsewhere, the limited area in SS1 can't really be heard in SS3 I'm afraid, and regularly the songs in SS1 and SS3 don't integrate well..

Also anyone that is worried about the view in SS3 (I'm row S in 315), its great, I've never had a better view in any stadium.
I'm on row S in 316, level with the left goalpost, and yes it is a fantastic view, as good as anywhere bar the 2nd tier, and no we can't really hear SS1.

It's usually a lot better when there are vocal away fans up there... I'd leave that section in SS3 as the 1st one to be filled so if they don't sell their allocation then more Blues can be put in SS1, which would help down there too.

What we do need up there is more/some singing on the concourses beforehand and more people joining in during the game. The very first game up there v Chelsea showed what was possible but it's never been repeated really. If enough join in then everyone will.

How about a few of us from on here meet up before the game on the concourse and get the odd song going? Then continue the theme during the game. Then people nearby would join in... We don't even need to meet up, we could just agree to get a certain song going wherever we are in the bars/concourses/stands.

With the effort and passion being shown on the pitch, it's time we consistently matched it in the stands. There's a lot to sing about!

How about for Saturday, wherever we are, we go with "Olé, Olé... Olé, Olé... David Silva Olé, David Silva Olé. Olé, Olé......"?

The year we played Hull City on Boxing Day, I was in Vancouver & we got up at 5.30 am to watch. My son & his family, like you, regularly get up early. And my son watches in his office similar to you! He & his wife had season tickets before emigrating & are bringing their girls up the City way!

Good luck in your ambition to get over for your game a year but let’s hope you choose a week when we play 2 games!!

im currently trying to plan my honeymoon with a 5 days in london and my hope would be to squeeze 1 or 2 city games in while we stay there haha

Perhaps it's better to consider "there is no such thing as a bad customer", but to explain:

The face of football fandom is rappidly changing. A few decades ago teams pretty much relied on a local fanbase for much of their revenue. But the mediatization and the promotion of the EPL has led to far greater volume's of "more casual" or "less connected" fans all across the globe who still add to the revenue of EPL teams by watching matches on paid sports channels or by buying merchandise. I'm pretty sure you can understand that if city has say a million fans in the USa that it aint likely that a lot of them will soon turn up to see matches in the stadium, let alone do it reguraly, but otoh "a lot of smalls can make a big" , a few million fans abroad that spend 1/10th of what the usual fan in manchester spends will in total still add a very significant volume of added revenue, and it's very much in the interrest of teams to chase that money nowadays. It will likely only increase, it's likely going to head to the point that the international fan will dwarf the local fan in numbers especially for the top teams, and the trend can already easily be observed on a lot of team forums for example. Rather than to look down on them for supposedly being lesser fans, i think it would be far better to welcome them and even attract them regardless of how much of a newbie they would be in comparison to the veteran fanbase. Yes there wil likely be a fair segment of obnoxious and unknowledgable wannabee's, but it's also a competition of who can get most for them to strenghten the financial position of the team, you can only hope they learn from the wiser segment of the veteran fanbase and that the local fans have a positive attitude towards it. Then again afcourse you couldalso lament the idea that either times our youre team has changed so much that it has deviated quite a bit from still being a local affair, but i presume most fans here actually love the higher status. I do take note though of the join date of posters, to likely make a distinction between the veteran local fan and the international fan, towards the future if would wear it with pride if you have been long enough here to have become part of the woodwork.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.