Pep's tactics

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kdb is not equal to Cesc. They are different. But they are similar in their limitations to understand playing a free 8 role. Both cant do defensive work. Yet, atleast in KdB's case. Kind of luxury players, sometimes passengers. Doesnt mean, either is a bad player. Both are excellent in different ways.

I want KdB to evolve so that Pep finds it impossible not to accomodate Silva, Ilkay, KdB & all our attacking players in every game. Right now, its still work in progress. Our wide options are excellent, probably the best after Bayern in Europe, maybe even better coz we hv a more advanced thinker. Our midfield has to find balance and stability. This will take time. Dinho has to learn not to overrun at times, not make unnecessary runs, etc. At difficult games, Ilkay might need another ball-holder in midfield, better than Dinho for more control? Maybe Silva slots deeper more often in those games & KdB/Yaya becomes a 10?

The beauty of Pep is that he is probably the only top coach in Europe who experiments all offensive options giving the players the creative freedom. Most othr top coaches are more defensive and will only use creative players functionally. So looking forward to all the permutations and combinations that Pep has in mind as the season progresses.

Enjoy your meal! Had to google who this Briggs fella is....))))

Could you post a possible line-up with KdB as No10 and Gundogan&Silva behind him? I hope it doesn't mean using Ilkay as a sole DM, cause you can slot SIlva there with the same effect. Gundogan never played as a lone pivot, he lacks physicality, height and tackling skills. Pep is a brave coach, but not a crazy one. Also he learns from mistakes. He played Thiago as DM in his first competitive match with Bayern vs Dortmund in the Supercup, and it cost him dearly. Gundogan was cruising through Bayern's DM zone with ease.
He doesn't necessarily need to be no. 10. I still believe that KDB will adapt to whatever role Pep plays him in, whether it's free 8 or 10 or something else. Gundogan never played pivote before but I believe Pep brings him in thinking he could do that role, because nobody else in the squad can play that position. Fernandinho is able to slot in there and did really well defensively, but offensively his distribution is still lacking to be a true pivote. Fernando can't. And if you want to play Silva as pivote, might as well have Gundogan there. I still think we will line up either 4-1-4-1 (Silva and KDB in front of Gundogan) or 4-2-3-1 (KDB in front of Silva and Gundogan). Pep has shown creativity with the pivote position, having played Lahm there before, and sometimes even double pivote with Lahm and Alaba. The pivote position is important for Pep therefore surely he would've brought in somebody that can play that position. Out of all that, Gundogan fits the profile the most.

And if you want to play Silva as pivote, might as well have Gundogan there.
Excuse me if I use words improperly) My sentence about Silva as a DM was kind of a sarcasm) Of course, Silva can't be a DM. Neither can Ilkay. You rightly mentioned Alaba, Lahm - but both are not only highly intelligent players, but a tough defenders, both are not afraid of hard tackles. Ilkay is a much softer CM. He is 'Xavi' who played alongside 'Busquets' (Weigl).

Last edited:
Excuse me if I use words improperly) My sentence about Silva as a DM was kind of a sarcasm) Of course, Silva can't be a DM. Neither can Ilkay. You rightly mentioned Alaba, Lahm - but both are not only highly intelligent players, but a tough defenders, both are not afraid of hard tackles. Ilkay is a much softer CM. He is 'Xavi' who played along 'Busquets' (Weigl).
Yes I understand what you mean. And I agree regarding the requirement to be the pivote, but like I said unfortunately Gundogan playing as the pivote is the best solution that we currently have. It's not the best solution overall, but it's the best that we have. I don't see anybody else (on our team) filling that position other than him really.

Yes I understand what you mean. And I agree regarding the requirement to be the pivote, but like I said unfortunately Gundogan playing as the pivote is the best solution that we currently have. It's not the best solution overall, but it's the best that we have. I don't see anybody else (on our team) filling that position other than him really.
My bet is if we don't sign anyone else, Pep will use Dinho as a main DM. Perhaps the lack of backup solutions is the only reason why Fernando hasn't been booted out already.

Last edited:
My bet is if we don't sign anyone else, Pep will use Dinho as a main DM. Perhaps the lack of backup solutions is the only reason why Fernando hasn't been booted out already.
I don't think Dinho's passing ability is cut out to be the pivote, but defensively he's up for it. Gundogan can do it offensively but not defensively. So technically choosing between Dinho and Gundogan is like choosing between being defensive or offensive. My gut feeling says Pep will go for the offensive and slot Fernandinho to RB and play Gundogan as the pivote.

C7Ticlf-IL0G90Ao_kGn5BqWDhoFgjHqWGaImNtXWUM.jpg

Pep's Barca was the smallest team in Europe in 2011, so not a concern. Let the others worry that their teams are more suited to rugby than proper football.

Last edited:
I'm curious to read what others think about Samir Nasri's suitability to Pep's system. I thought that the Frenchman would do very well in a free-roaming #8 role - he's very good on the ball, rarely gives it away, very accurate with passes, able to take on opponents one-on-one, excellent link-up-play, and has shown willingness to get back on defense and thus would seem able to play Pep's counter-pressing game. Is it just down to attitude/lack of effort on the part of Nasri that sees him out of our squad?

seem able to play Pep's counter-pressing game. Is it just down to attitude/lack of effort on the part of Nasri that sees him out of our squad?
You answered it yourself didn't you mate? Nothing is wrong with Nasri's skills. Lack of effort, personal issues and maybe injury effects.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.