CL stand closures v BMG and Celtic

Mate I understand where you're coming from, but can you name a single ground where the atmosphere is as good now as it was 20 years ago?

I've been to the Swamp, Klanfield, St James' many times and they are like fucking libraries most of the time!

I always used to like Fratton Park and Goodison for away day atmospheres, I went to Goodison last season and it was fucking dead.

It's not just a City problem, or a new stadium problem, or an us being good problem, it's just the way football has gone. Life moves on, not always for the better. I know lads who went in the 70s and 80s and preferred it when the was the threat of imminent violence in the air, but time moves on, you can't go backwards.

The atmosphere is pretty shit at home games now, but would it be any better if we finished 15th last season? I don't think it would. What if we'd stayed at Maine Rd and it got even more dilapidated? Well look at Villa Park, Goodison etc, similar grounds and the atmosphere has got progressively worse at those grounds.

Realistically, the only way atmosphere is ever going to come back to English football is with safe standing, cheap tickets and cheap beer. It really isn't rocket science.
Don't disagree with any of what you've said - the reasons you gave are spot on so perhaps wishing for old times again is hasty, but in the years since 11/12, constant bemoaning the atmosphere has just led to people giving up on it altogether besides 1894 and spontaneous bouts. That, and I think a lot were priced out until SS 3rd tier. The 1st game of the new tier against Chelsea was very, very loud so we can do it.

Good that's how it should be or shall we give them all of the South Stand Lower??
It's awkward now as the ground is packed, but if we expand the ground, I'd definitely consider giving away fans South Stand Lower. It would be a fantastic atmosphere if that happened. Remember Blackburn away. There are some grounds where you really look forward to going: Sheff Weds, Blackburn, Sheff Utd because the way the away end was set up. Splitting it over 3 tiers in a narrow strip can't be good.

It's awkward now as the ground is packed, but if we expand the ground, I'd definitely consider giving away fans South Stand Lower. It would be a fantastic atmosphere if that happened. Remember Blackburn away. There are some grounds where you really look forward to going: Sheff Weds, Blackburn, Sheff Utd because the way the away end was set up. Splitting it over 3 tiers in a narrow strip can't be good.
We had a divided section of the upper tier at Blackburn as well as lower with the same divide, I've been in the lower tier at the swamp with those twats throwing paper cups of piss down on us just after half time. Sheffield Wednesday we get upper and lower death trap, Sheffield United upper and lower. Klanfield we get lower and spat on throughout the game from the upper tier.

It doesn't work and it's not safe. Quote me Newcastle and I'll ask about people throwing smoke bombs.

Hope youre right but a similar message was sent for the game v Bucharest and it was shut.Its open v Barca as well.
Did you get an email saying it was shut against Bucharest? I ask because it was empty with half an hour to go, then about 500 fans suddenly appeared - that's what makes me think they're keeping it empty to put the away fans that are thrown out / refused entry from the home area.

We had a divided section of the upper tier at Blackburn as well as lower with the same divide, I've been in the lower tier at the swamp with those twats throwing paper cups of piss down on us just after half time. Sheffield Wednesday we get upper and lower death trap, Sheffield United upper and lower. Klanfield we get lower and spat on throughout the game from the upper tier.

It doesn't work and it's not safe. Quote me Newcastle and I'll ask about people throwing smoke bombs.
Most times we got the whole of the end at Blackburn. Almost 8,000. There were a few clubs who'd take a lot to Blackburn, and everyone liked it

It would be good to make City the same. It's a fantastic ground, close to the pitch. A big game. Good City. If we get the extra capacity we could do it, and it would be good for home fans too as it would be a much better atmosphere. If it was a Boro visiting then give them 1,000 k in the corner and make the rest of it match-day sales to City fans.

I am sure I read somewhere that the Premier league are going to stop clubs sticking away fans in the top stands in the corners. Sunderland have done that. Quite a few clubs. Not good for the atmosphere in a ground. Only time it's any good now is when its a big game, or on a European night and you get the foreign ultras

It will probably be open at a later date if demand dictates it. I suppose with the Celtic game they will try to make it as difficult as possible for away fans to get tickets which would be increased if 53k tickets were available and home suppirters showing little interest

Most times we got the whole of the end at Blackburn. Almost 8,000. There were a few clubs who'd take a lot to Blackburn, and everyone liked it

It would be good to make City the same. It's a fantastic ground, close to the pitch. A big game. Good City. If we get the extra capacity we could do it, and it would be good for home fans too as it would be a much better atmosphere. If it was a Boro visiting then give them 1,000 k in the corner and make the rest of it match-day sales to City fans.

I am sure I read somewhere that the Premier league are going to stop clubs sticking away fans in the top stands in the corners. Sunderland have done that. Quite a few clubs. Not good for the atmosphere in a ground. Only time it's any good now is when its a big game, or on a European night and you get the foreign ultras
You've completely missed the point- you can not safely have opposing fans above/below each other.

They do it in Europe and we have to sit there looking through wire cages, nets or in the case of Barcelona a ripped net and lighters/coins reigning down on fans below.

For whatever reason, many City fans are less concerned about the Chimps League, so with a smaller capacity, it's easier to keep rival fans apart, and prevent any repeat of the BMG and Everton scenes last season.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.