20 games in....Title race back on?

We didn't win one game against the top 6 last season, this season we have won 2 but lost 3.
Need to improve on that in the second half of the season if we have hopes of winning the title or even finish in the top 4.

Tactically a vast improvement over always trying to play 442, we now have a very fluid system, the 3 at the back didn’t work and PEP quickly ditched it. Against the best teams we really can now mix it, there will be the odd blip but both games against Barca (before the sending off) we looked like we deserved to be at that level and we dominated the game against Chelsea , with a stronger Ref or better finishing we would have walked that game

Defensively no better but the players getting older hasn’t helped, I think this will be addressed next.

1. We didn't beat a single team in the top six last season, this year we've done it twice.
2. We won a come-from-behind-at-half-time game which we hadn't managed in the Premier League in many, many years (not at all during Pellegrini's tenure)
3. We beat Barcelona.
4. Individual players showing tremendous improvements across the board, from Sterling, to Otamendi, to Yaya and even Zabaletta.
5. Tactics are fluid and we are able to mix it up considerably more.
6. Statistically we are running more, passing more, dominating possession much more and creating considerably more chances.
7. Subjectively, when looking at the team last season lethargically go through the motions, one wondered whether the squad had hit it's limits. This year it seems as if we haven't even begun.

I'm sure there's more, but that's all I can come up with for now.

Chelsea will have played four of the top 6 by mid February. If we aren't within 3 points of them by then it's game over as their play during 12 of the 13 games in their win-run was incredibly solid and consistant. Put simply, they are not going to drop many points against the also rans. Even then it will be a big ask as we would have to win some big games.
That's impossible to say as the final two months are when relegation zone teams play out of their skin.

Last season we hadnt had the excitment we have had this year... Barca (Both games) Chelsea, Utd, Arsenal... I dont remember us coming back from behind last year to beat a top 6 team.... The players are more motivated, the crowd more motivated.... Issues we been discussing but not really doing anything about are starting to be worked on.

Points comparisons wont shoow any of that, I am not a fully fledged Pep fan yet but this year has been so much more betterer than last.

Finally, Pep has had a few months, so not even a fair comparison. He has an aging team, Yaya issues, Joe Hart issues, fan issues, media.

I rest my case.

Tottenham away is the only game this season where we've been vastly outplayed for a large amount of the match, so there's that.

The second half of last season was particularly poor we only took 27 points from 18 games so that is the part of the season there is most scope for improvement. Perhaps I'm a little over optimistic but I think we are going to see far more of a Pep team second half of the season.

Tottenham away is the only game this season where we've been vastly outplayed for a large amount of the match, so there's that.

I see your Tottenham and I raise you Leicester.

We have looked amazing some games and pretty average others. For me it's Spurs, Leicester, Liverpool and Southampton at home which annoyed me most. We was shite in them games, other dropped points I think saw plenty of positives.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.