20 games in....Title race back on?

Pressure on clubs playing for their lives, and pressure on teams going for the title. Chelsea's mentality is good, but playing now is nothing like it is when you're playing in the closing weeks.
If the only really hard games for Chelsea between mid Feb and the end of the season are us (H) and rags (A) then that really wouldn't matter. Three quarters of the Chelsea team are title winners and know what is required.

If the only really hard games for Chelsea between mid Feb and the end of the season are us (H) and rags (A) then that really wouldn't matter. Three quarters of the Chelsea team are title winners and know what is required.
They have the mentality and the manager, but this is not the run in. What we have to do is improve on the 1st half of our season so that we can put the pressure on in the closing weeks when all kinds of crazy things can happen. Beating QPr should have been a walk in the park for City. Beating palace at Selhurst should have been easy for Suarez and Liverpool. Even mid-table teams who are safe from relegation, relish those big games when the title contenders roll into town. These are the games where they have no pressure and it's a Cup Final and the biggest game left in the season.

don't think we can expect the title tbh, we are regrouping after the mess pellers made of it. I'd take top four right now, top three and I'd be proper buzzing. throw the fa cup in and progree futher in the CL and I think that would be an amazing season. lets see where are in a months time as to the title.
Can't agree that would be an amazing season. It would be good (but not amazing) if we got top three,FA cup and CL semis.
We spent 150M in the close season to improve the team and should have bought more defenders than attacking midfielders.
With that kind of outlay we should be challenging for the title.
We're not.

Can't agree that would be an amazing season. It would be good (but not amazing) if we got top three,FA cup and CL semis.
We spent 150M in the close season to improve the team and should have bought more defenders than attacking midfielders.
With that kind of outlay we should be challenging for the title.
We're not.
its about realistic expections. I said in august I'd be happy to be there or thereabouts come jan. pep can tweek the squad from there. that's exactly where we are in my opinion. close but need strengthening to kick on now he knows the league somewhat.

They have the mentality and the manager, but this is not the run in. What we have to do is improve on the 1st half of our season so that we can put the pressure on in the closing weeks when all kinds of crazy things can happen. Beating QPr should have been a walk in the park for City. Beating palace at Selhurst should have been easy for Suarez and Liverpool. Even mid-table teams who are safe from relegation, relish those big games when the title contenders roll into town. These are the games where they have no pressure and it's a Cup Final and the biggest game left in the season.
Good points in this.

Sounds obvious but there's a long way to go. Bar the first 4/5 games, we've virtually been in third gear so far and to think we sit in 4th on GD is alright..No outstanding team so far.Feel the rest dont have gears to go through,whilst we do..We just need to keep winning,the rest will take care of itself.

Some people would say that it was only West Ham in the cup, but we still had to beat them.
I think that 5-0 AWAY, against another premiership team, who tried, was a superb result. Also the fact that the match was played on a cold Friday night should be noted.
The way the team was set up and how they played was excellent, and there was plenty in reserve.
Now there is no reason why, playing in that style , that we can't mount a serious title challenge.
Chavs will drop points, we are capable of beating them for a start - dippers won't hit the top spot , neither will the tarquins.
So BRING IT ON!

I think if we strengthen defence we are more than capable of mounting a challenge, the rent boys will drop off imho, do you know I have this horrible gut felling the rags aided by the dubious decision cartel could be rivals!

Last edited:
I had a look at the top 6 mini league on the basis that whoever tops that will in all probability win the title this year. At halfway, the position was:

Dippers Pl 5 W 3 D 2 L 0 Points 11
Chavs pl 5 W 3 D 0 L 2 Points 9
City pl 5 W 2 D 0 L 3 Points 6
Arse pl 5 W 1 D 2 L 2 Points 5
Manure pl 5 W 1 D 2 L 2 Points 5
Spuds pl 5 W 1 D 2 L 2 Points 5

Obviously, Spuds have since beaten Chelsea to move into 3rd spot in that table. Liverpool, City and Spurs each have 3 of the 5 top 6 games at home in the second half of the season. The timing of the remaining top 6 games is also quite interesting, the ideal being to have as easy a run in against the teams outside the top 6. Liverpool will have completed all fixtures against top 6 opposition by March 18th, City by April 5th, Chelsea April 15th, Arsenal 6th May, Tottenham and Manu 13th May.

So what does all that tell us?
City need to improve their record against top 6 in second half of the season to be credible challengers. We really do need to beat Liverpool at home, Chelsea away and take maximum points from our home games against Spuds and ManU. Also we need to be more clinical and stop dropping points at home against other teams. If we achieved that then I do think we would be in the mix. Chelsea will win if they can maintain their consistency against teams outside the top 6 and at least maintain their first half season form against top 6 teams.
If Liverpool are close to the top following their game against us on 18th March they will be very difficult to stop as they have by some way the longest and most comfortable run in. Man U, Spurs and Arsenal all play each other in the last month so will drop points.

Could well turn out to be the most competitive Premier league in many years if not ever.

After 20 games last season we had 39 points, this season 42. Potentially a lazy comparison but how does everyone feel we have improved (so far) under guardiola?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.