“City have no history”

Exactly. City, even before the Sheikh Mansour era, was just as synonymous with us as United has traditionally been with our old friends the odd lot (moniker nicked from @LongsightM13) from out of town. Just as most people associate 'United' with one club, to the annoyance of fans of Leeds, Newcastle, Sheffield (the Blades), West Ham and so on, we've for decades been the by a fucking street the club people think of when they hear 'City'.

In 2003, before we moved from Maine Road and long before Mansour came along to push us towards much greater prominence, Gary Lineker was one of the proponents of a move to change Leicester City's name back to Leicester Fosse. He said: "Most people think of Manchester City when they hear the name City being mentioned."

Unfortunately my link that gave the quote is dead: http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/news/829730/lineker-supports-foxes-name-change. However, he definitely said it. And it was true then, just as it is now.
Even in Spain and the islands we are simply known as ‘El City’

In my pariah nation, inbetween broadcasting hysterical political pundits and a clearly rattled President all threatening the launch of nuclear war on the rest of Europe, TV channels occasionally show football and then usually call us 'City' or sometimes 'ManCity' (pronounced 'Mansiti' as if it's a single word with the stress on the first syllable).

City, there's only one City.

I agree totally with you, even when we were shit wherever I was talking football 'City' was enough for every fan to know who was my team.
Apparently before the Kippax had a roof there was a flag pole with flag at the halfway line that just had CITY written on it.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    77.1 KB · Views: 85
I think I read somewhere (possibly in one of @Gary James books?) that Coventry play in sky blue because their then chairman was so taken by Manchester City's performance in the 1956 FA Cup Final.
Which ties up nicely with this whole (not having) history thread. There can't be too many English clubs who have inspired another English club to change their colours.
yes it will have been in my writing but it’s the 1955 final. One of the directors was impressed with City’s fighting spirit despite being a man down for most of the game.

Apparently before the Kippax had a roof there was a flag pole with flag at the halfway line that just had CITY written on it.
The flag had been with City from the 1920s possibly earlier. City FC written on it loud and proud. I’ve written about it in various books and articles in the MCFC match programme.

we have history, it involves relegation, protests, Peter Swales, Hyde Road, 5-1, 10-1, Helen and her Bell, Paul Lake, Frank Swift, Moss Side, City in the Community, Platt lane, the yellow Manchester Evening News van, mind your car mister, and everything we have now!

HISTORY!
...and giant inflatables.

we have history, it involves relegation, protests, Peter Swales, Hyde Road, 5-1, 10-1, Helen and her Bell, Paul Lake, Frank Swift, Moss Side, City in the Community, Platt lane, the yellow Manchester Evening News van, mind your car mister, and everything we have now!

HISTORY!
City certainly have loads of History including Jimmy Meadows, Roy Paul, Bert Trautmann, Alan Oakes, Neil Young, Dennis Tuart, Tommy Booth, Ken and Peter Barnes. All played for City long before 2008 or did I imagine the whole thing?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.