2017/18 Checkatrade(EFL) Trophy (15/08 v Rotherham)

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.../man-city-academy-checkatrade-trophy-13258706

Wasn't sure which forum (Bluemoon or Youth) to put it in as the only requirement for invited teams is 6 U21's must start.

So we opted out last year but looks like we're set to compete in it this year. It's the former Johnstones Paint Trophy for those not familiar with the rebranding. Arsenal and Liverpool also set to join, Chelsea already in it.

Obviously the lower league teams won't be happy but I personally think it's great opportunity for our young lads. I will definitely go to the games at the Etihad as I think it's on us as the invited team to get a large crowd in order to help our young players. I know it's unlikely but would be great if City made it part of the season ticket or as least priced the tickets properly. Great opportunity to go to some local away games as well.

How do you feel about this?

Will you go to the games?
So long as fans of EFL clubs are against our participation we should boycott any games in support of them imho.

So long as fans of EFL clubs are against our participation we should boycott any games in support of them imho.

EFL Clubs aren't against our participation just the fans.

Those fans are doing what they think is best for their club, we should do what is best for ours which is to support our youth players/fringe players in what will be their first experience of professional football.

It's not a bad idea and it's a good test on how our promising players are developing rather than keep loaning them out. As for the supporters if we do progress in the competition, and the admission price is reasonable, then there might be more an interest (but that shouldn't be an issue as it is all about youth team development).

Last edited:
I hope so, surely the competition organisers would have requested we use our proper stadium. If we play at the 'minihad' we are basically reducing ourselves to a smaller attendance. Play at the Etihad and try and get 20,000 fans there and then by word of mouth and progression in the tournament we might get more there.
Don't think 20,000 would turn up... We'd probably get a big following if we were away to a reasonably local lower league side but the homes would be scarcely attended I would think as it's essentially a reserves game. Could be wrong though!

Don't think 20,000 would turn up... We'd probably get a big following if we were away to a reasonably local lower league side but the homes would be scarcely attended I would think as it's essentially a reserves game. Could be wrong though!

That's why I said I wouldn't be surprised if City threw in 1 or 2 fringe players to get fans down there. Great opportunity to keep players like Adarabioyo around the first team whilst giving them proper games. If I recall correctly from last year there are 3 group games in the first round, we'll probably play 1 home game and 2 aways, so I don't think it would be asking much for City fans to show up for 1 game to support the youth in their first pro games. If we progress, naturally I think more fans would show up.

I hope so, surely the competition organisers would have requested we use our proper stadium. If we play at the 'minihad' we are basically reducing ourselves to a smaller attendance. Play at the Etihad and try and get 20,000 fans there and then by word of mouth and progression in the tournament we might get more there.

Definitely one for the academy stadium, mate.

It wasn't even sold out for the youth cup final.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.