Album of the day - The Stone Roses (The Stone Roses)

Exactly. They were part of the rave scene whether some like it or not.

Is that aimed at me?! Just to be clear I was very careful from my first post in this thread with reference to your OP, that I was picking up on the music on that LP had zero to do with rave - a scene which I'd like to think I know a fair bit about. I never said their fans weren't also into rave music (many were) and also didn't dress like ravers (they did). I think the Roses were a great band, and their first album is brilliant, but has no rave links whatsoever.

Is that aimed at me?! Just to be clear I was very careful from my first post in this thread with reference to your OP, that I was picking up on the music on that LP had zero to do with rave - a scene which I'd like to think I know a fair bit about. I never said their fans weren't also into rave music (many were) and also didn't dress like ravers (they did). I think the Roses were a great band, and their first album is brilliant, but has no rave links whatsoever.
Fancy a Londoner, and a young one at that, telling us the score about the Mancunian music scene. Again this post is bang on, "whether some like it or not". ;-)

I watched a documentary about XTC on sky arts last week and Andy partridge(I think that's his name), the lead singer of XTC, said the roses wanted to make their album sound like the dukes of stratosphear ( XTC under a different name) first album
YLil.png

I found this on the net about leckie and his involvement in the roses album and what influenced them.

True story, my eldest brothers best mate as a kid was Paul Sampson, he lived opposite us. From the age of 11 he was playing guitars. He joined a band in Coventry, The Reluctant Stereotypes (who had a singer called Paul King) and was on the edge of the Two Tone scene in the late 70's.
They split up, 3 forming King and Paul and another member bought a studio and started making music and producing others. He produced the Primitives albums and indeed played with the band live when one of their guitarists up and left.
He was asked to produce the Roses debut album but was tied up with other commitments so passed on the offer.

Fancy a Londoner, and a young one at that, telling us the score about the Mancunian music scene. Again this post is bang on, "whether some like it or not". ;-)

Thankyou my good sir, I’m 32 cheers for the youthful compliment aswell !

Rave scene, Madchester scene, you all want to claim them for your own tribal take on things. The fact is however, that they actually came out of the goth scene. It was alternative Manchester nightclubs like the Berlin that were playing the Stone Roses long before they became the monster that they became.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.