Aleksandar Kolarov - 2016/17 performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pep's post match interview:

@5:16
Reporter: "Celtic and Totenham both, have exposed your fullbacks on a number of occasions. How big of a concern is this going forward?"
Pep: "The fullbacks?"
Reporter: "Yeah."
Pep: "Uh...
No, I think the problem in Celtic and in here was not the fullbacks.
They play good...
Sometimes happens...
So...
No, I'm happy, believe me, for what they've done."
=========
Away at Spurs:

Zabba at fault for the first goal (failed to block Rose's excellent cross), and had a bad game. Kolarov beaten for pace on a number of occasions and had several bad touches; a bad game. But, neither of them were at fault for the loss.

We were under huge pressure and a certain other player did nothing to help our defense out - either by providing another passing option or by providing cover when necessary, or hell, by offering us the ability to build from the back.

Last edited:
Anyone who's seen my posts in this thread knows I'm not a fan of Kolarov, but I gave him some praise after that first CB display where he was a "revelation" (thats a quote from me *facepalm*).

It would appear he's slipping back into his old ways. I'm not even going to comment specifically on his short comings on the pitch as I think more and more people are starting to notice. The main thing for me is now that he's wildly unreliable. Play him at LB and 9/10 he stinks. Play him at CB (so far this season) and 6/10 he stinks. Even if he has the odd good game at CB the fact we can't rely on consistently good performances means he doesn't deserve a place in our 11. Every other player (including Sterling this season!) other than Navas has a decent performance 8/10 or more often.

Kolarov doesn't, it's just subpar far too often from him.

I don't think that Kolarov is nearlyh as big a liablity as most of the rabid Kolarov haters suggest.

He's great when not under pressure and can deliver a killer cross.

He's not the best one-on-one defender though

And, against a pacy attacker, he's going to be beaten far too often.

I think that Kolarov has a place in our side, especially if we're so dominant that we won't be pressed. Kolarov's crosses are world class.

Hit some amazing cross field passes yesterday.
His missed tackle that led to their first goal was a tad unlucky but he should have got the ball out of play really.
Can't really blame him for the pen I guess..

Hit some amazing cross field passes yesterday.
His missed tackle that led to their first goal was a tad unlucky but he should have got the ball out of play really.
Can't really blame him for the pen I guess..

It was a bit of a rash tackle for the pen but we were game over by then anyway. I think if it were 0-0 and he did that he would be getting pelters!

He is what he is, a player who can look very good against mid to lower table teams (Although not always) and one who frequently looks poor against the best. Having said that all of our full backs are poor for me. It is absolutely criminal that we have overlooked this area for so long.

id be shocked if kolarov is still here next season, not good enough, but to be fair, none of the 4 fbs we have are good enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.