Angus Gunn

A loan is essential IMO,test him at a higher level.

He has the ability and i'm sure he will handle the pressure of top flight football.....hopefully,in 12 months,we get a very competent HG number 2 who is keeping Joe on his toes.

My only concern is the fact he may be 'too' good for our bench,and with Joe just entering his prime.....will Gunn patiently wait in the wings?

sam-caddick said:
‏@City_Watch
Scottish Sun: Aberdeen are working on a season-long loan deal for City & England youth goalkeeper Angus Gunn (19).

Good move in my opinion.

Agreed, Should get in front of Langfield and will 100% replace the 2nd choice. European football for an improving Aberdeen side plus playing against some decent crowds too with Celtic, Hearts and potentially Rangers/Hibs.

Keeper is a really hard position to develop, especially at a top team, as you can't really get them games and the established keeper is normally pretty secure in their place. You can't exactly sub them on for experience and you don't rotate keepers, so going out on loan is the only real option and even then it's pretty tough to force the current keeper out. Gunn in particular has a problem because we want our keepers to pass it out at every opportunity and the amount of clubs out there who we could loan him to are very, very small. No idea if Aberdeen play it out from the back, or whether he'd even be first choice there? Thy came second in the SPL so I assume their current keeper isn't a complete disaster, but I don't know enough about them to judge.

He needs a loan somewhere though, sooner or later

FantasyIreland said:

He has the ability and i'm sure he will handle the pressure of top flight football.....hopefully,in 12 months,we get a very competent HG number 2 who is keeping Joe on his toes.

My only concern is the fact he may be 'too' good for our bench,and with Joe just entering his prime.....will Gunn patiently wait in the wings?

Courtois did at Chelsea, he had to wait three years until he was 22 to get into the Chelsea side at replace Cech.

If Gunn can do the same with Hart he will be a very special player because Courtois was a bit of a one off, he is pretty much the accomplished keeper already at such a young age.

Gunn might have to go on loan a good few times before we consider him, he is going to have to be some keeper to replace Hart.

It's pointless keeping promising keepers as number two's though because they need to play.

Everytime I've watched him he's look excellent especially with the ball at his feet. Loan to a championship side is probably the best move for him.

sam-caddick said:
FantasyIreland said:

Courtois did at Chelsea, he had to wait three years until he was 22 to get into the Chelsea side at replace Cech.

If Gunn can do the same with Hart he will be a very special player because Courtois was a bit of a one off, he is pretty much the accomplished keeper already at such a young age.

Gunn might have to go on loan a good few times before we consider him, he is going to have to be some keeper to replace Hart.

It's pointless keeping promising keepers as number two's though because they need to play.

He is SOME keeper. A loan to the right club is just what he needs imo but I fear that after one good loan year he won't be keen to sit on the bench. A second loan year might be a possibility but it would have to be at a top flight club imo.

Better than Joe? Not yet but he maybe better than Joe was at his age .

greasedupdeafguy said:
Everytime I've watched him he's look excellent especially with the ball at his feet. Loan to a championship side is probably the best move for him.
He would need to go to a team that would play him every week.How many teams out there would play him every week?

summerseat blue said:
greasedupdeafguy said:
He would need to go to a team that would play him every week.How many teams out there would play him every week?
Liverpool?

:)

Tricky thing good goalies, you can't rotate and you can't keep 2 of them for long. Get him on a long term contract and loan him out, even for 2 years to the right club.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.