Bayern Munich (A) | Post Match Thread

Don't believe the hype, we are nowhere near previous levels.

Timing is everything and we may just have it on our side, but ignore the hype train.

We got a chasing last night, certainly first half and were let off the hook.

Dias and Bernie had to compensate for some very below-par showings from Ake, Gundo, Kev and Rodri.

Still huge games to come in between and would have preferred Madrid at home for first leg, like Bayern, try and wipe them out.

No away goal means that whole playing home second is no advantage.
I think playing at home second leg carries a slight mental advantage - but maybe at this level that's not alot. We can go over and win in Spain, easier said than done but they are quite open.

I agree that gundo and rodri had poorer games - but, the quality of the opposition has to be factored into that - Bayern a pretty decent footballing side lets be honest, and we've beaten them comfortably (at least that's what'll say in the record books).

We were nowhere near previous levels, then the past 8-10 weeks we've really found our form. I don't buy into the treble shite - i never have, but the fact that we're consistently at the business end of these competitions is the best things we can hope for - win or lose - we're giving ourselves the opportunity.

1 - Real, Milan, Inter and City are left. And we are the ones who are feared.
2 - There was a point where if you'd told me that I'd be dreading an injury to Nathan Ake I'd have thought that you were on glue.
3 - I have a belief in the Law of Averages, so Drawing this match is a strange relief to me as I'd felt that our winning streak had to wobble at some point and this was a good place for it.
4 - Likewise with Erling's missed pen. If he had to miss one, this was the one.
5 - We owe Real a beating. We were superior to them in both legs last year.

Timing is everything and we may just have it on our side, but ignore the hype train.

Dias and Bernie had to compensate for some very below-par showings from Ake, Gundo, Kev and Rodri.

Still huge games to come in between and would have preferred Madrid at home for first leg, like Bayern, try and wipe them out.

I couldn't disagree more with this. Last night's performance showed that we're ready to win this competition. It's completely unrealistic to expect us to dominate games against Bayern Munich. But we showed grit and determination on top of our skill and control.

Have a look at Bayern's record at home and in the Champions League. It was the draw no one wanted and we have come out on top!

Very harsh to say those players performed below-par. Sometimes you just come up against world class players.

Last season, everyone said Real Madrid couldn't keep playing badly and winning. But they went on and won the thing. No one remembers their performances.

City have grown up.

I think playing at home second leg carries a slight mental advantage - but maybe at this level that's not alot. We can go over and win in Spain, easier said than done but they are quite open.

I agree that gundo and rodri had poorer games - but, the quality of the opposition has to be factored into that - Bayern a pretty decent footballing side lets be honest, and we've beaten them comfortably (at least that's what'll say in the record books).

We were nowhere near previous levels, then the past 8-10 weeks we've really found our form. I don't buy into the treble shite - i never have, but the fact that we're consistently at the business end of these competitions is the best things we can hope for - win or lose - we're giving ourselves the opportunity.
It’s definitely an advantage if it goes to extra time

Tolm,

I am in no way saying we have played the best we could have but we are forgetting a little detail here.

Flip a coin were a penalty that 99/100 times should not be given and a very rare Haaland miss and we're talking a 5-0 against Bayern. BAYERN. Whether we had 85% possession or not the reality of the situation is, in the UCL when you get to these stages you will get ran at, fouled, mauled and hunted. It's the European top 8 and it is for a reason. What I saw last night in Bayern was 5 attackers running fast, but have no clue what to do in the front of goal, much like Tuchel's last months in Chelsea. I was more calm last night than I will be facing Arteta.

Now, this is the first time, ( Season ) were I have seen City actually adapt, give possession away, remain calm, make good decisions in defence, with a keeper that isn't losing his head every half. It shows maturity, lessons learned.

UIpamecano cost them the tie, but our defence killed us in Madrid last year. It's the typical margin in this Competition. We have conceded 5 goals in the last 11 games, and you know full well who we played.

Madrid is very good, but they have a slower build up, a more lacklustre defence than Bayern, a very very good keeper and lethal finishers. IF the Bayern tie was won on defence, which it was, the Madrid one will be won in Midfield as it was last year before we fell asleep. Modric and Kroos are immense, but against midfield transitions in the way we play they suffer massively.
Good post, and just to add , we tore Madrid a new arsehole at ours last season, certainly in midfield as you said, that game at home should have been won by 3 clear goals at least, it was only very poor finishing that night that eventually got us knocked out by them at their stadium, and even then , they scored 2 goals at the very end of the match to go to the final. What I remember most about the game at ours was the look on Modric's face as we continuously tore them apart, he and Kroo's were running in treacle that night, Modric at one point was actually shaking his head in disbelief when we went 2 up , they're very much at the twilight of their careers twelve months on.
I don't fear them at all tbh , in fact they should be shitting themselves at the prospect of playing us, Modric is 37 ffs and Kroos is 33, they play in a much slower league than the PL, if we are at it then those two wont stand a chance.

We can flip it both ways. City were six inches away from Bayern reducing the deficit by two goals inside the first half hour.

It was a chasing because our flanks couldn't cope with their runners, hence why Pep says he changed it at the break to ensure Grealish and Bernie played closer to our back line.

Our midfield was wide open because Stones couldn't make up the extra man, having to run back all the time.

It was a chasing in terms of what City are usually exposed to.

Bayern are certainly a top team but I am under no illusions, we were not allowed to play well for long periods and a superior attack such as Real's will only cause us bigger issues if we go again with the same formation.
I get your points TH but a big reason we played within ourselves was due to the 3 goal advantage. The players tried a more contained approach and Bayern also dominated our midfield and flanks. Madrid would no doubt finish their chances but we can also destroy Madrid if we turn up. I expect a similar performance against them at the Bernabeu. Against top teams it’s a coin toss and rub of the green.

We hung on and did enough. Not pretty but it worked and we go through. I will take that over us playing well but not seeing out games.

You obviously saw a different game to me, I saw a team playing exactly the way it should have played given the circumstances, defensively!

Part for the reason we have been knocked out of this competition before is we go out and playing all gung ho, and suffer the consequences, I was more than happy with the way we set up last night because it delivered what it needed to without nerves being shredded

You obviously saw a different game to me, I saw a team playing exactly the way it should have played given the circumstances, defensively!

Part for the reason we have been knocked out of this competition before is we go out and playing all gung ho, and suffer the consequences, I was more than happy with the way we set up last night because it delivered what it needed to without nerves being shredded
I agree. I don’t think it’s conceivable to play Bayern away in a champions league quarter final and expect to not concede any chances. Especially when they’re chasing a three goal lead from the first leg.

They huffed and puffed but aside from the Sane chance didn’t really trouble us.

Same will be the case against Madrid. One thing you can be sure of is that they will get chances over the two legs - but then so will we. It comes down to who takes them.

Wouldn't say we got a chasing, but we were up against it and struggled at times. You've got to expect that though playing one of the best teams in Europe away from home. Overall, we coped with them well - the teamwork, effort and discipline was fantastic. Some didn't have the best games on the ball, but nobody backed down and all played their part.

As for no away goals against Real, it's still better playing home second - if it goes to extra time we get the half hour in front of our own crowd and we can roar them on. It's happening.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.