Best book you've ever read?

Pocomoke blue said:
for me it would be:

mtpcte.jpg

Good novella,but for me not in the same league as either Cannery Row or The Grapes Of Wrath.
And a fine,principled man;(refused to denounce fellow left-wingers to the House of Un-American Activities),until oddly cosying up to Lyndon B. over Vietnam.
Able to portray the grinding misery of dust-bowl poverty without resorting to mawkish sentimentality.

Jack Kerouac- The Dharma Bums, Visions of Gerard
William Saroyan - The Human Comedy
Emily Bronte - Wuthering Heights
Russell Hoban - Riddley Walker
Horace Walpole - The Castle of Otranto
Christina Rossetti - Goblin Market
Ted Hughes - Crow, The Iron Man

nijinsky's fetlocks said:
Pocomoke blue said:
for me it would be:

mtpcte.jpg

Good novella,but for me not in the same league as either Cannery Row or The Grapes Of Wrath.
And a fine,principled man;(refused to denounce fellow left-wingers to the House of Un-American Activities),until oddly cosying up to Lyndon B. over Vietnam.
Able to portray the grinding misery of dust-bowl poverty without resorting to mawkish sentimentality.

It was a hard choice for me to pick this one! Cannery Row, Grapes of Wrath, Tortilla Flat and The Winter Of Our Discontent are fantastic books; and portray the grinding misery of the 1930's depression.
I have read a lot of Orwell and these two writers seem to come from the same angle, although Orwell more political I think.
I also enjoy reading Orwells essay's..........'England Your England' and 'Politics and the English Language' works for me!

johnny on the spot said:
Jack Kerouac- The Dharma Bums, Visions of Gerard
William Saroyan - The Human Comedy
Emily Bronte - Wuthering Heights
Russell Hoban - Riddley Walker
Horace Walpole - The Castle of Otranto
Christina Rossetti - Goblin Market
Ted Hughes - Crow, The Iron Man

Thank God someone else has mentioned Wuthering Heights! ;-)

Johnny...I will now try out the rest of the ones you mention. What is the best to start with bearing in mind I like a bit of Gothic and/or quirkiness?

Can't be fussed to read all 5 pages but really enjoyed 'Zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance' when I read it (I was travelling though so in a different mindset).

I also loved Vurt by Jeff Noon - I could really 'feel' that book as it was based around where I lived (and got stoned etc).

Oh, and 'Life Of Pi'

Balti said:
The Dice Man - Luke Rhinehart

Lived my life on the throw of a dice for some months after reading this cult classic in my younger days.

Balti my son, thank you, how did i forget.

Group of us virtually lived our lives by the throw of the die (sing) in the mid 70's. The overwhelming requirement to introduce the element of danger/uncertainty into your own choices is extraordinary.

Please please please read and try it, if only for a day, it may change your life.

Oh and lastly, do'nt think it allows you to rape your neighbour, they're not all as forgiving as Arlene.

Glenda MCFC said:
OK all you book-heads ... I'm a Grisham fan but I've noticed af few on here who have read sort of self help books ... so if I give you my personal circumstances can you recommend anything ? PM me please

I have read more self improvement books than any other type......I can reccomend tonnes of em

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.