Ched Evans - serious injury

What is that seb ?

“Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy (CTE)​

Chronic traumatic encephalopathy (CTE) is a progressive and fatal brain disease associated with repeated traumatic brain injuries (TBIs), including concussions and repeated blows to the head. It is also associated with the development of dementia. Studies have shown that people who experience TBI in early to midlife are two to four times more at risk of developing dementia in late life. This risk appears to be much higher in people with several TBIs, although more research is needed to confirm this.”

This is pure speculation in regards to Evans, but based on the wording of the statement it would make sense, unfortunately. There are only a few “serious” medical conditions that result from the sort of repeated traumas a player experiences playing football (real or gridiron), and they are almost all cognitive function related.

“Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy (CTE)​

Chronic traumatic encephalopathy (CTE) is a progressive and fatal brain disease associated with repeated traumatic brain injuries (TBIs), including concussions and repeated blows to the head. It is also associated with the development of dementia. Studies have shown that people who experience TBI in early to midlife are two to four times more at risk of developing dementia in late life. This risk appears to be much higher in people with several TBIs, although more research is needed to confirm this.”

This is pure speculation in regards to Evans, but based on the wording of the statement it would make sense, unfortunately. There are only a few “serious” medical conditions that result from the sort of repeated traumas a player experiences playing football (real or gridiron), and they are almost all cognitive function related.
Thanks , that is not good

If so and at his age I doubt he will be back playing
Yeah, likely not.

I would wager that many former players, including quite a few that are current commentators, suffer from (diagnosed and undiagnosed) cognitive impairment from the repeated micro- and acute concussions they have sustained from a young age through their pro careers.

And some will unfortunately develop CTE, seeing their cognitive function degrade very quickly much earlier in life than would otherwise have been the case.

Researchers are just now beginning to connect various neurological conditions like depression, bipolar disorder, dementia, motor function disorders, and others with repeated (even relatively minor) brain trauma.

It is something I think about given my lifelong struggles with depression, anxiety, and diagnosed OCD (when I was a teenager), as well as my MSA.

I am also grappling with it as I now have a son that may want to play football in the future.

No easy decisions these days.

CTE is what a lot of American Footballers end up with, despite the helmets, after repeated hits during their career. I can imagine that a lot of footballers have some form of it too, along with the dementia of a lot of the older players who were heading a heavy ball back in the 60's/70's. Jack Charlton etc.

Feel bad for Ched. Too young for that.

Jesus....you'd think this would affect boxers more than footballers.
It affects both. It just tends to be more obvious (acute) in boxers because people just naturally assume their are neurological consequences to having your head regularly punched, whereas people tend to underestimate how much even heading the ball thousands of times over a footballers career, from a very young age, can impact the brain. That’s ignoring the head-to-head and head-to-ground impacts that often result in acute concussions, with most top footballers having 10 or more of those over a full career.

It is easier to understand if you think of what would likely happen to your forearm if it was hit with a decent amount of force thousands of times over years, with occasionally a much heavier hit to that same area. It wouldn’t be in good shape after even a decade and you’d likely suffer long term issues that are pretty obvious to everyone.

But because brain function is largely “hidden”, it is ironically a case of ‘out of sight, out of mind’.

The statement indicates that surgery is needed, so it not be CTE (I didn't think that could be treated surgically?).

Maybe a neck/vertebral issue instead?
I speculated it was CTE related, not necessarily CTE itself. Then kaz asked what CTE, which sparked the CTE discussion.

I imagine it is a spinal issue that may also be causing neurological problems (CTE related).

This happened to my cousin, who ended up having to stop playing entirely when is was 29 because he was in severe pain and was experiencing migraines and blurred vision.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.