Chelsea Thread 16/17

Just out of interest, it seems to have gone very quiet on the match fixing allegations. No doubt it has been added to the pile of s**t under the carpet at FA HQ .

What the clubs did was to effectively agree before the game that the ball went out (or was kicked out of play) at a pre-determined moment, that Terry would be subbed. Any one of the playing staff from either team could have been in on this and subsequently passed it on to friends/family/associates to put a bet or two on. Bookies actually paid out on his substitution. People knew about this before the match and therefore had inside knowledge. Match fixing however you dress it up.

Imagine if we'd done that.

this terry thing does it really matter ( by the way i am by no meens a terry fan ) the match had nothing riding on it it did not in any way change the result no one got hurt for me its a " nothing to see here " moment. move on people.

Just out of interest, it seems to have gone very quiet on the match fixing allegations. No doubt it has been added to the pile of s**t under the carpet at FA HQ .

What the clubs did was to effectively agree before the game that the ball went out (or was kicked out of play) at a pre-determined moment, that Terry would be subbed. Any one of the playing staff from either team could have been in on this and subsequently passed it on to friends/family/associates to put a bet or two on. Bookies actually paid out on his substitution. People knew about this before the match and therefore had inside knowledge. Match fixing however you dress it up.

Imagine if we'd done that.

Spot fixing is what you're referring to, not match fixing.

And to your point, the way I understand it, someone told Moyes right before the game that Chelsea wanted the ball out in the 26th min and he said okay. That's it. I imagine this was purely to inform him that Chelsea were planning on having a quite lengthy substitution in the 26th min. I don't know if the Sunderland players knew this going into the game. It doesn't strike me as something big enough for Moyes to bother informing his players in the dressing room, which would explain why Conte was gesturing to Pickford to throw the ball as he had the ball in the 26th min. Someone should ask Pickford why he threw the ball out. I bet he would say something like, "I thought someone was injured".

EDIT: Regarding the betting. It was public knowledge the day before that Terry would start and come off the 26th min, so not really the big conspiracy you really want it to be.

Last edited:
Spot fixing is what you're referring to, not match fixing.

And to your point, the way I understand it, someone told Moyes right before the game that Chelsea wanted the ball out in the 26th min and he said okay. That's it. I imagine this was purely to inform him that Chelsea were planning on having a quite lengthy substitution in the 26th min. I don't know if the Sunderland players knew this going into the game. It doesn't strike me as something big enough for Moyes to bother informing his players in the dressing room, which would explain why Conte was gesturing to Pickford to throw the ball as he had the ball in the 26th min. Someone should ask Pickford why he threw the ball out. I bet he would say something like, "I thought someone was injured".

EDIT: Regarding the betting. It was public knowledge the day before that Terry would start and come off the 26th min, so not really the big conspiracy you really want it to be.
Spot fixing/Match fixing. Yeah fair point; same difference. It's still using inside to knowledge to potentially gain an advantage over the bookmakers.

The Bookies are relatively astute, and would have picked up on this common knowledge as you call it. No way any bookie would have given odds of 100/1 on dead cert. Football and gambling have been linked for years. That is common knowledge. I'm not saying the whole thing is a set up from start to finish; more opportunism. No way any hardcore gambler (player/staff) would have been able to pass on this opportunity. For Chelsea to not even consider this an issue before the event is where the problem lies.

Spot fixing/Match fixing. Yeah fair point; same difference. It's still using inside to knowledge to potentially gain an advantage over the bookmakers.

The Bookies are relatively astute, and would have picked up on this common knowledge as you call it. No way any bookie would have given odds of 100/1 on dead cert. Football and gambling have been linked for years. That is common knowledge. I'm not saying the whole thing is a set up from start to finish; more opportunism. No way any hardcore gambler (player/staff) would have been able to pass on this opportunity. For Chelsea to not even consider this an issue before the event is where the problem lies.

I don't know much about betting and how it works, but journalists were telling us on Twitter that the 26th min sub could happen. Chelsea fans fully expected it happen.

I don't know much about betting and how it works, but journalists were telling us on Twitter that the 26th min sub could happen. Chelsea fans fully expected it happen.
It would be nice to think somebody at either club would have thought it through and decided that it was a bad idea because it opened up an opportunity for potential spot fixing.

Even if no further action is taken against the clubs or the player, a rule should be set in place to ensure this never happens again.

But Karen, why is that the question? You are inventing a completely hypothetical situation and then slamming Terry for it.

Drogba had a similar send off 2 years ago (against Sunderland too) where he was carried off the pitch in an early first half substitution. Nobody cared then. Terry isn't a well liked guy though, so he gets hammered.
This kind of cringeworthy bollocks needs to be banned. If a club wants to give one of their players a send off it should be done in a way that doesn't interfere with, or interrupts the flow of a match or better still, done outside matchtime altogether.

This kind of cringeworthy bollocks needs to be banned. If a club wants to give one of their players a send off it should be done in a way that doesn't interfere with, or interrupts the flow of a match or better still, done outside matchtime altogether.

Maybe, but I'm less concerned about the flow of the game if it's the most dead rubber of dead rubber games. If Sunderland had something riding on it, I would advise against it, but since neither game was, I'm not remotely bothered about taking a few minutes to appreciate a legend. The Drogba thing took about 1 minute all together.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.