China crisis?

Anyone been watching the Chinese Super League - Thoughts on the standard of football and the attendances?

It seems to have gone quiet on the potty transfer fees, I did read that this is due to the tax the government put on buying players from abroad
I am currently watching Shandong Luneng vs Beijing Renhe FC. I got the free trial of ESPN+ to watch our League Cup match and was looking for a match to watch while I did some tedious local travel club finance work I’ve been putting off and this game happened to be on given the time difference.

Just looked up the Chinese Super League table and this is 4th v 9th; Graziano Pelle (of Saints fame) and Diego Tardelli (mostly of youth prospect in FIFA17 fame) play for Luneng, though Pelle is apparently out injured for this match.

I have to say, the standard on show—at least in this match—has been pretty poor. Many, many misplaced passes, very poor touches, and decision-making is erratic (putting it mildly). That said, it also seems to feature much more earnest play; there is a lot less play acting and most players seem to genuinely respect the others. There was a bad challenge at one point and the player that went in apologised profusely to the player who took his wild kick (and took his yellow without screaming “F*ck off!” at the ref—one of the reasons Rooney could never go to China, it seems).

Actually, perhaps I am wrong about that. Luneng just equalised (1-1) against Renhe with a penalty, after one of the Renhe players barged a Luneng player in the box whilst they were queuing up for a volley on the ball hanging in the air from a deflected cross. It took an age to take the penalty (about 3 minutes by my count) as the referee had to pushback the Renhe players arguing with him over the call.

This match looks to be upper League 1 level on this viewing. Perhaps the best teams playing each other would be middling Championship level.

EDIT: I take it all back. It’s all kicking off now. Several off the ball incidents and now a bit of a fracas that has a few players from both teams squaring up.

At least it’s more entertaining than the “Super Sunday” clash today.

Last edited:
I am currently watching Shandong Luneng vs Beijing Renhe FC. I got the free trial of ESPN+ to watch our League Cup match and was looking for a match to watch while I did some tedious local travel club finance work I’ve been putting off and this game happened to be on given the time difference.

Just looked up the Chinese Super League table and this is 4th v 9th; Graziano Pelle (of Saints fame) and Diego Tardelli (mostly of youth prospect in FIFA17 fame) play for Luneng, though Pelle is apparently out injured for this match.

I have to say, the standard on show—at least in this match—has been pretty poor. Many, many misplaced passes, very poor touches, and decision-making is erratic (putting it mildly). That said, it also seems to feature much more earnest play; there is a lot less play acting and most players seem to genuinely respect the others. There was a bad challenge at one point and the player that went in apologised profusely to the player who took his wild kick (and took his yellow without screaming “F*ck off!” at the ref—one of the reasons Rooney could never go to China, it seems).

Actually, perhaps I am wrong about that. Luneng just equalised (1-1) against Renhe with a penalty, after one of the Renhe players barged a Luneng player in the box whilst they were queuing up for a volley on the ball hanging in the air from a deflected cross. I took an age to take the penalty (about 3 minutes by my count) as the referee had to pushback the Renhe players arguing with him over the call.

This match looks top be upper League 1 level on his viewing. Perhaps the best teams playing each would be middling Championship.

EDIT: I take it all back. It’s all kicking off now. Several off the ball incidents and now a bit of a fracas that has a few players from both teams squaring up.

At least it’s more entertaining that the “Super Sunday” clash today.

Thanks for that

Performing Seals,a liitle known i instrumental track ,released on the b side of Christian 7" is a great peice of music
Cant believe i,m talking about scousers in exalted terms in the run up to sunday...

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.