City vs United: Manchester's Cold War (23/02 1930hrs BBC Radio 5)

Apart from one or two bitter comments from Horrocks, that article is pretty fair I thought.
Its a really good article and gives a pretty honest insight into kids football and how pretty much any kid who can half kick a ball these days is at one academy or another. The amount of parents you talk to whose kids have been at City, United, Everton, Liverpool etc and get the letter telling them not to come back, its the same across all teams.

However, there is an undertone to the whole article i feel that paints City as the big bad villains ruining kids lives and united as the saviours who are like the robin hood of the football world. Either way, its nice to know the future looks good for City and its only a matter of time hopefully till we see the fruition of this hard work.

Its a really good article and gives a pretty honest insight into kids football and how pretty much any kid who can half kick a ball these days is at one academy or another. The amount of parents you talk to whose kids have been at City, United, Everton, Liverpool etc and get the letter telling them not to come back, its the same across all teams.

However, there is an undertone to the whole article i feel that paints City as the big bad villains ruining kids lives and united as the saviours who are like the robin hood of the football world. Either way, its nice to know the future looks good for City and its only a matter of time hopefully till we see the fruition of this hard work.
It's as if guaranteeing an academy recruit a decent education up to 16 is somehow a bad thing. OK not everyone agrees with private education but it is what it is and I can't see anything wrong with any club using it as a recruiting tool, surely it's better than the old method of doorstepping the kid on his 14th birthday with an envelope full of cash.

Is it just me but if utd had built our academy and not us , would this programme be singing the praises of utd and how they are doing wonderful things for football. All though the programme wasn't overtly anti City , there are a few cynical digs like us turning parents heads with private education for our lads as if it's cheating . Almost everything we do to improve our lot is challenged because it has an effect at old Trafford , from hospitality to signing players . For me it's a good thing because we are now an equal and no longer ickle City . Love the fact we are now no longer a laughing stock and now a big , big threat to them.

It's as if guaranteeing an academy recruit a decent education up to 16 is somehow a bad thing. OK not everyone agrees with private education but it is what it is and I can't see anything wrong with any club using it as a recruiting tool, surely it's better than the old method of doorstepping the kid on his 14th birthday with an envelope full of cash.

I've not heard the programme, just the Fordyce piece linked above. At least this piece has a City input (PR department having a word?). I agree that it could have been written better, but I think the "guaranteed education is bad" idea is a sort of secondary implication that it's deflecting from what is best for the kid's football development. That's arguable obviously, and may just be the perspective we're coming to it from, and mostly comes from the quotes used.

The point that the education stays on regardless, at £10k per kid per year, is certainly going to appeal to some parents, and even the Utd side acknowledge that it's a big selling point. That Horrocks has to bleat about tradition is brilliant, as is the inclusion of the derby results. Our EDS is U21 isn't it, and it's second in a U23 league, so it's going pretty well.

Theres nothing cold about the war between City and the rags, its red hot always was always will be first team down to youth level and we all know who is on top and winning the war.

I disagree. The article is littered with inaccuracies. No way is it fair.

BBC again promoting the Scum and having a go at us. Albeit a little more subtly.

Dave Horrocks is a full on rag. The way he bleats in that city have the money and United have the history of youth football is a disgrace. In fact it was City up until Fergie that we we were head and shoulders above United. There are sly digs throughout the piece as if to suggest we are once again throwing cash at it and United are doing it the proper way.

Pro United espousing Rashford etc that have come through then blatant lies stating that Hinccliffe in 89 was the last manc to score for us in a derby. Sinclair was the last Manc to score for us and last youth player was White. In fact if they are including Giggs as a Manc despite him playing for Wales, other than Rashford who has scored for United in that period?

The first paragraph stating the Brightwell brothers were part of the 86 youth team? No only Ian. David was 3 years younger.

Quality control and researching is horrendous. It's Fake News all over. Even the results they get in we have smashed them but then slip in United have won the U-21 league without putting the caveat that they play over age and older players and that city play 18 year olds and younger in that league.

Tom Fordych = massive ****. Probably a rag one. Seeing that piece after the wedging of Sheringham going on about United for a good five minutes when he is meant to be talking about Millwall says it all.

Oh and re St Bede's you BBC shithouses, stating it is in leafy Whaley Range like it is Hale Barns give me a break. I went to St Bedes and Whalley Range while on the up is no salubrious location. In fact they should have pointed out it was five minutes from our spiritual home. Again painting a picture for all these fans of other clubs imagining that our players are at some sort of Eton or Harrow in the Cheshire countryside.

Pro United espousing Rashford etc that have come through then blatant lies stating that Hinccliffe in 89 was the last manc to score for us in a derby. Sinclair was the last Manc to score for us and last youth player was White. In fact if they are including Giggs as a Manc despite him playing for Wales, other than Rashford who has scored for United in that period?

The first paragraph stating the Brightwell brothers were part of the 86 youth team? No only Ian. David was 3 years younger.

Scored for united locally born, Scholes. From their youth Beckham
As for us, Manchester born and scored in the derby, John Macken

Scored for united locally born, Scholes. From their youth Beckham
As for us, Manchester born and scored in the derby, John Macken

so all in all since 89 they have had scholes, Rashford, Giggs if we are being fare and beckham from the academy.

We have had hinchcliffe, Brightwell, Wright Phillips. Any others? Plus Macken and Sinclair are Mancs that have scored for us.

Talk about Agenda!

so all in all since 89 they have had scholes, Rashford, Giggs if we are being fare and beckham from the academy.

We have had hinchcliffe, Brightwell, Wright Phillips. Any others? Plus Macken and Sinclair are Mancs that have scored for us.

Talk about Agenda!
Oh and White. So we have had 4 youth team 2 manc youth players 3 if we include Brightwell if they are including Giggs to their 3. Youth team players we win 4-3.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.