Comparisons - so what?

If we win the treble ours will be on a different level of success to do it , we’ve just done three in row PL titles , only two years ago we did the domestic treble , we’ve been CL finalists twice in the past three seasons , we’ve scored more , conceded less and have broken the 90 barrier in 5 of our last six seasons , and we play a level of attacking , fantastic football that they can only dream of.
Great summary - just one addition - in the last 5 years we have spent approx 1/10th of what MardArsenal/ RTs/Dipper/ Chelski have collectively spent - but won more trophies than those lot put together - maybe irrelevant but I just like saying it

I personally don't think you should be in this competition, unless you are champions of your own nation. That's just my view. That's all I say to any rag who try to compare. If we do win it, then in my mind the 99 treble will be forever tainted for that reason.
I seem to recall the media saying the same when the competition was opened up to 2nd, 3rd and 4th placed teams.
They all forgot their outrage when the rags won in 99 and the dippers in 2005 and 2019.

agree with that, that Liverpool team from probably 86 through to 89 was incredible and if they hadn't had everyone banned from Europe they probably would have won another European Cup if not more
Everton, in that era, were certainly well placed for a European Trophy but never really got a chance.

The European ban certainly prompted a number of top players to move to Continental clubs and even to Rangers.

Let’s face it the rags will still drag up any old stat to keep em relevant
And despite the media knowing we shit all over the record that year they have to peddle along with them to keep the rags and dippers clicking away.
They like to keep going on about their history knowing full well they ARE history
As a side note I’ve noticed that when they talk about the possible Qatari takeover they no longer mention human rights issues
You’ve got to love em haha
Up the blues!

Lots of people are prematurely comparing Utd 1999 with City 2023. I’d urge all Blues to avoid these sorts of meaningless debates. Even if City do pull off an amazing treble this week it’s not worth getting embroiled in a debate that is ridiculous.

To be frank you’ve got to be well in your 30s or above to even stand a chance of debating it and even then so what? I was somewhat frustrated that the post match phone ins after Wembley were all about comparing Utd 99 with City 23 instead of concentrating on how great City 23 is. I’ve posted an article saying why it’s pointless (yeah, I know. Even writing an article on why it’s pointless is pointless but I’ve had enough of it all). Some of what I say may be useful if you get embroiled in an argument.

Key thing to remember is that some keep going on about when Utd were winning their treble in 99 City were achieving promotion. Well guess what? 24 years before 99 Utd were achieving promotion.

Anyway, here’s the piece:

Something else I’ve written about recently is the span of success. City are second in this. Again, it’s a so what? But rival fans go on about a history of success, we’ll only 1 club has a longer span of success than City.
Great articles

I've noticed the airwaves full of this 'debate', bringing on the old Red Scum players to say "we did it first" yadda yadda yadda
I'm glad I'm not in England during times like this. The media go completely overboard with all this versus rubbish. It's completely meaningless as the OP pointed out.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.