Comparisons - so what?

Lots of people are prematurely comparing Utd 1999 with City 2023. I’d urge all Blues to avoid these sorts of meaningless debates. Even if City do pull off an amazing treble this week it’s not worth getting embroiled in a debate that is ridiculous.

To be frank you’ve got to be well in your 30s or above to even stand a chance of debating it and even then so what? I was somewhat frustrated that the post match phone ins after Wembley were all about comparing Utd 99 with City 23 instead of concentrating on how great City 23 is. I’ve posted an article saying why it’s pointless (yeah, I know. Even writing an article on why it’s pointless is pointless but I’ve had enough of it all). Some of what I say may be useful if you get embroiled in an argument.

Key thing to remember is that some keep going on about when Utd were winning their treble in 99 City were achieving promotion. Well guess what? 24 years before 99 Utd were achieving promotion.

Anyway, here’s the piece:

Something else I’ve written about recently is the span of success. City are second in this. Again, it’s a so what? But rival fans go on about a history of success, we’ll only 1 club has a longer span of success than City.
Embarrassing thread. “We don’t care (but here’s some facts to show, actually, we do.”

You know why they’re really comparing it?

Because it hurts them. It hurts them the fact that their one shred of history still standing is about to be blown away. It hurts them that their team is shit and dying whilst their rivals (and that’s what we are) succeed in ways they could only dream of.
It hurts them that they have nothing left to attack us with, if we win the CL they can’t do that, they can’t say you have to win the treble to be great, they can’t say you have to win back to back PL to be great & deep down they also know we aren’t guilty of any crime other than being better than them from top to bottom. They literally have nothing to attack us with that matters.

They compare because the writings on the wall and outside their sphere of delusion, cum stained ‘class of 93’ team poster and bedding, everyone in the world knows it.
Take away the treble and we’ve stripped them of everything, and will leave them the laughing stock of Manchester. But hey, we were the original laughing stock, right? So surely that means we’re better.

Scum.

They will move on to something else.

Noisy neighbours.
Not in my lifetime.
The owners will get bored.
Then they said Pep wouldn't come.
Then they said he couldn't do it in England.
Then chequebook and Baldiola.
Then Foden needed a loan.
Then no academy players.
Then Silva and Aguero were off to Real
Then we had to win back to back leagues.
Then we had to win the CL
Then we had to win multiple CLs.
Then Emptihad.
Then the 115.
Now everything has an asterix and we've been 'Bellinghamed.'

They cannot stand our success. The media love the clickbait because demeaning our success generates more clicks from United and Liverpool fans.

Meanwhile, we just keep knocking every jibe over as target practise and become the most successful, record breaking team in England and the biggest brand in sport.

Last edited:
Pointless debating full time with them on any subject.Only last night I was out with a match goingUtd fan , we've been mates for 50+ years and I asked why him and all other UTD people wont/dont give us credit for winning something that the have never done ...winning the domestic treble ,he replied "why when did they do that ?"...........absolutely IN CRED IBLE

agree with that, that Liverpool team from probably 86 through to 89 was incredible and if they hadn't had everyone banned from Europe they probably would have won another European Cup if not more
I think Everton lost most with the ban. Kendall’s team was refreshing and still hungry for more. They’d have won the European Cup and possibly sustained success, which would’ve limited Fergie’s opportunities at start of 90s too. I don’t think Kendall would’ve left Everton had the opportunity to play in Europe remained.

I agree there's no point in comparisons.

The Club Elo ratings showing the best teams in history. Win on Saturday and we definitely go above Ancelotti's Real Madrid. There is no comparison with that 1999 team. They aren't even in the top 150. This City team could literally be the best team in history.

1686217061597.png

I think the comparisons are boring but understandable, especially with it being City v Utd. What I find funny is the media saying Beckham rattled City fans with his idiotic opinion. When he was the one who was clearly rattled and sounded like a kid on the playground.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.