Corners (again)

Didn't we score something like 4 goals in 5 games from corners at the start of last season?

I don't remember that. But even if true, a broken clock is right twice a day. The fact remains, we are dire at corners and at heading goals from them. Something must be done because it's going to be tight this season and we cannot afford to just throw away points because our conversion rate from corner is so utterly woeful.

I don't remember that. But even if true, a broken clock is right twice a day. The fact remains, we are dire at corners and at heading goals from them. Something must be done because it's going to be tight this season and we cannot afford to just throw away points because our conversion rate from corner is so utterly woeful.
Kompany scored a few at start of last season. Sure when we have had this debate before somebody posted stats that show very few corners lead to direct goals for any team and we weren't that much behind other teams at the top end of the table.

Kompany scored a few at start of last season. Sure when we have had this debate before somebody posted stats that show very few corners lead to direct goals for any team and we weren't that much behind other teams at the top end of the table.

I refuse to accept that we cannot do better. Otamendi gets quite a few chances, but just hardly ever manages to get the ball on target. Stones missed an absolute sitter the other week, heading wide of an open net.

I think I should change the thread title, because my beef is really about the dismal heading ability of most of our players.

The tallest defender (by far) yesterday has never looked like scoring a header from a corner, although Otamendi's was good v Norwich some time ago and he won the pren v Stoke off one when he ref seemed intent on giving them. Kompany and Bony are threats, and Yaya has been, however there is a cull on anyone over 5'11".

I refuse to accept that we cannot do better. Otamendi gets quite a few chances, but just hardly ever manages to get the ball on target. Stones missed an absolute sitter the other week, heading wide of an open net.

I think I should change the thread title, because my beef is really about our dismal heading ability.
Not suggesting we cant do better, obviously we can, I just think to do better we need to be cleverer and the last couple of games we have been. I just dont think we can suddenly turn Stones and Otamendi into players that will score more than the odd corner, especially as the oponents know they are the only two players they need to mark from the initial high corner. We need to work on anticipating the knock down whoever it comes from better and we are more likely to be able to improve the second ball scoring than direct corner scoring .
I did post in another thread Peps comment about needing to get used to oponents end of game high ball onslaughts may change his centre back thoughts, and though he will still want one that plays a bit may be more likely to go for one thats good in the air, so that would improve from a corner aspect as well.

The tallest defender (by far) yesterday has never looked like scoring a header from a corner, although Otamendi's was good v Norwich some time ago and he won the pren v Stoke off one when he ref seemed intent on giving them. Kompany and Bony are threats, and Yaya has been, however there is a cull on anyone over 5'11".

Otemendi I find the most frustrating. If his conversion rate was as good as say John Terry, he'd get 5 or 6 a season. He often gets his head on the ball, and usually it goes randomly anywhere.

A couple of surveys have shown that the success rate at corners is only 3-5%. Perhaps we expect too much?

It does not help letting Sterling take them, he not only runs like a tart but kicks a ball like one, being unable to get the ball father than the near post at best is quite pathetic.

Why do we almost always take outswinging corners ? This is doing the defenders job for them i.e. keeping the ball away from the goal.
There are several reasons why we should use the inswinger almost always - especially with our less tall forwards.
So we should be looking at Silva from the right & KDB from the left, it aint rocket science.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.