Everton (A) | PL | Post Match Thread

I really don’t get the controversy. I don’t remember any interpretation of the handball law where throwing yourself in front of a player taking a shot and blocking the ball with an outstretched arm is anything other than a penalty
Not even for John Terry?

Generally I like it, and that one was very good, but Everton had pretty much given up the hard press by then.

We tried that a couple of times just before half time, when Everton were very sharp in their press, and we lost it twice, one resulted in their goal, as it was too tight on Rodri and he slipped.

It's not always the right option, it might be the preferred one, but sometimes we need to be more pragmatic.

Anyone that has played football at any level will appreciate how fuckin hard that is. To take a ball, at speed, and your touch to have to be perfect to lay on to the next player who is under equal pressure and their touch has to be equally as good.
You have to be absolutely top notch, top of your game, world class to do that and you could probably count on one hand the teams in the whole world Who could pull those moves off

We are very lucky
It’s called playing world class football by a team that are world class

There isn't a controversy surrounding the penalty, by the current rules it's a clear penalty, that bit can't really be argued, and none of the people who spoke about it tonight said otherwise (well maybe Dyche, but I never understand his stupid riddles, so who knows ?).

The only controversy is with the rules, if a shot hits an arm a yard away, when there was clearly no intention to handball, just block, should it be handball ? The problem is, in one game it's given, and in another it isn't. The referee tonight didn't give it (don't think he saw it), but the linesman did, and indicated with his flag "penalty", don't know if var got involved to check, that wasn't made clear on the coverage I watched.
If this incident was 6 yards further forward and Onana was on the goal line no one would bat an eyelid and he’d have been sent off, simple as that.

If you like walking football, Grealish is yer man, indeed.

Me? I like chaos AND control. It's not the oxymoron it appears.

With Doku, he has the ability to draw players and commit them, freeing up our forward players for strikes in the pen box.

Grealish slows down the play allowing more cover in the pen box, which forces our players out to start again more than have a pop at goal.

I'm going to assume the strike rate/ chances on goal goes up for Doku on the pitch over Grealish and in the short time at City, Doku has made the greater impact for our forward line.

In my opinion.
Horses for courses, we can have both and seeing as we play over 50 games a season we need both. I like Grealish, the control and defensive covering he brings helps the managers game plan. I like Doku, he is unpredictable and can cause chaos although his final ball at this early stage if his career needs improving. In the long term I see him scoring goals similar to how Mahrez used to getting in the box and aiming for the far post also he will improve his final ball setting up chances in the box for others. Over the season we will need them both.

It was much a penalty as Grealish's hand ball was against the scum. Daft Rule but we didn't write it.
Nothing similar for me in the two, I assume you mean in the cup final ?

Jack jumped for header, wasn't even looking at the ball, it flicked his hand, I think 1 or 2 rags appealed half heartedly, game went on, and it was only awarded about 2 minutes later, after every angle was scrutinised by var to find one that helped united.

Last night the defender dived in front of a shot that may (or may not) have been goal bound to block, inherant risk there of it hitting his arm or hand, it hit his hand first, then his head (had it been the other way round, I suspect var would have ruled it out). Referee didn't give it, doubt he saw it, but every nearby City player appealed vociferously, and the linesman indicated he had seen it, the referee checked, clear penalty under these rules, and it seems var confirmed it, I presume they checked what it hit first, as I doubt the linesman could see that.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.