Has Manchester lost too many of it's old pubs in town

I'm property hunting in Failsworth at the moment and I can see numerous old buildings which were clearly pubs. There are one or two belting locals there but I guarantee it was much better in the older days.

Oldham Road was full of pubs ..... We would start the night in The Lamb Inn (near Broadway junction ... only pub between there and town now. And the stretch through Newton Heath and Collyhurst to bottom of Oldham Rd itself was chocka in the day too) go up to The Black Horse, Brown Cow, The Bridge, then at the Pole take the left hand fork where the Pack Horse was/is (Best pub in Failsworth in the day. Tommy Lowe and his Mrs were like the Fawltys' ... proper old school) .....and further up The Anglers and Bay Horse ...

Wouldn't know mate!...if ya wern't from Failsworth back in the day, a warm welcome in the pubs was not guaranteed.....very parochial place.

So I can imagine. Midd was the same. Never felt fully welcome in East London either. Jumped up toilets who made out they were related to the Krays.

That WAS a pub....The dougie, with mad george at the helm, friday afts...
The Douglas was brilliant. I'm still in touch with Mad George, unfortunately he's recently lost his wife and is not in a good state of health himself.
I'm hoping to meet up with him for a drink in town on Friday. He still can't speak English properly but probably one of the best landlords that has ever graced Manchester.

The Douglas was brilliant. I'm still in touch with Mad George, unfortunately he's recently lost his wife and is not in a good state of health himself.
I'm hoping to meet up with him for a drink in town on Friday. He still can't speak English properly but probably one of the best landlords that has ever graced Manchester.

Heard the sad news about Georges missus. Wasn't he working at that Greek restaurant on Princess St opposite the town hall. Last saw him St George's Day dinner at the Palace, or whatever it's called now.

tbf i think most of the pubs in manchester are packed especially at the weekend and there are still quite a lot. we need to keep these old pubs though.

Evening news article.tonight

Across Greater Manchester time is being called on traditional pubs - so is it last orders for our boozers?

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co...ing-13374247#ICID=Android_MENNewsApp_AppShare

tbf that articles mentions brinny. there seems to have been an on going thing in that area to get rid of all the pubs/areas where there is anti social behavior, the same happened in adwsood. ( rougher areas seem to have there pubs closed down faster even with lots of customers ). for example where i live the pubs are packed and more bars are opening.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.