Internationals and the effect they have on City and other clubs

Most players want to play for their country. Whether we like it or not for them to represent their country is the pinnacle of their ambition. You sign a top player in the certain knowledge that they will play internationals and at some point get injured. Same thing if you sign African's. You know for certain that every couple of years they will be gone for a month or two. It is a total irrelevance that the clubs pay their wages. If they don't like it then sign lesser players!

Actually as far as I know if an injury is lengthy than the FA responsible is supposed to pay wages of that player.
I'd rather have the players fit and ready to play for us than their wages paid whilst they're laid up in dock because of some meaningless international match.

By the looks of it and judging by the flags and banners on display during internationals, the most vociferous supporters of international football seem to come from small towns like Scunthorpe, Southend, York and Hartlepool as this is the only way they can legitimately be involved with top level-ish (San Marino, Moldova and Andorra etc) football. As a footballer, I' rather be playing regular Premier League and Champions League football against Liverpool, Chelsea, Arsenal, Spurs, Everton, Barca, Real, Bayern, Juve etc and see internationals as a chance to rest rather than travel to the arse end of nowhere to play Lithuania in some bullshit qualifier.

Like I said earlier, surely there must be top level players who couldn't give a rats arse about international football and just want to concentrate on top level club football. As a club I wish we could make it a condition of employment that you sign for us, you ditch shitty internationals.

Not sure if it is correct, but it would only be fair it was true. Why should a club have to pay the wages of a player that they can't use, because he got injured playing for his country? Talk about a double whammy. And yes, I'm aware of how hard that could hit a poor country with a stellar player (the Ivory Coast with Toure, for example). Tough. National associations are benefitting greatly from the coaching and playing at a high level that their players are receiving at the top clubs, and (as far as I'm aware) they pay next to nothing for it. If a player gets injured while playing for his country, it's only fair that the club is compensated in some way for that. Even a compromise like the country paying 50% of the wages for the time the player is unavailable. Perhaps do it through an insurance policy taken out by the relevant FA.

FIFA Club Protection Programme - FIFA.com

Thanks for that incy. As I intimated in my earlier post, I wasn't sure if such a policy was in place. As somebody just posted, I'd rather have the players fit than the money (which, let's be honest) isn't really an issue for us. I was trying (possibly not too well) to point out the fact that the system seemed weighted in favour of the national associations and that it needed to be addressed. That was before you posted that document. Once again, thanks.

Last edited:
Thanks for that incy. As I intimated in my earlier post, I wasn't sure if such a policy was in place. As somebody just posted, I'd rather have the players fit than the money (which, let's be honest) isn't really an issue for us. I was trying (possibly not too well) about the fact that the system seemed weighted in favour of the national associations and that it needed to be addressed. That was before you posted that document. Once again, thanks.
Compensation or not, it still is weighted in favour of the national associations simply by the fact that if they come calling for a players' inclusion, there is fuck-all his club can do to stop the player if they want to play. I can't think of any other business apart from international sport where this can happen. Its fuckin ridiculous.....

Thanks for that incy. As I intimated in my earlier post, I wasn't sure if such a policy was in place. As somebody just posted, I'd rather have the players fit than the money (which, let's be honest) isn't really an issue for us. I was trying (possibly not too well) to point out the fact that the system seemed weighted in favour of the national associations and that it needed to be addressed. That was before you posted that document. Once again, thanks.

No problem Jim, I also would prefer it if a player remains fit whilst on International duty but who's to say playing against Bournemouth or Sevilla Kun and DS wouldn't sustain an injury in them games that's the way I look at it, on the plus side at least our club are not paying their wages whilst they get back to A1 condition it's also a great time for us to see what Nacho can do given more game time. Time for Bony to step up and earn his corn and show us his goal scoring prowess which the club had faith in him to do..

Also a chance to prove to the fans it was a good call by the club selling Edin..

Regardless of who has been injured during International matches, I've lost interest/passion in watching Int. Games now.
I fell asleep tonight watching the England game.
This has nothing to do with how poor the match was, it was mainly because well I just don't give a shit anymore whether we win, lose or draw.

Int. matches had their place many years ago as a means of showing diplomacy amongst nations and also was a good spectacle to test each other's
abilities but in 2015 - we have leagues in this sport such as the English Prem League where last week only %29 of the starting players were British.

So what's the fucking point? peoople from all different nations are playing amongst each other on a regular basis in leagues all over the world.
Many British lads have gone over to the States and play.
What's the point in International Football?

We're such a multi-race world now, this planet is so much smaller, I mean the two goals scored tonight by England.... from Theo Walcott and Raheem Sterling.
Sterling's mother was from Jamaica right?
And Theo's father was apparently Jamaican.
Add to this we've had a Italian and a Swede managing the national team in recent years... It's fucking pointless except for lining the pockets of The FA and their corporate twat sponsors.

all this national anthem singing bollocks... go fuck the queen, she ain't no human being.

bloody hell what is your problem with the english national team and all things english ? if england were winning/doign well there is no doubt you'd be there watching them and supporting them. there are thousands upon thousands of people who support england ( including me ) and when theres a world cup nothing compares to the amount of people that watch and take part - all around the country and every other country i nthe world. lets get rid of it though because you dont like it ..

there are plenty of city fans who support england and travel everywhere to watch them. i can bet there will be loads in france next year

bloody hell what is your problem with the english national team and all things english ? if england were winning/doign well there is no doubt you'd be there watching them and supporting them. there are thousands upon thousands of people who support england ( including me ) and when theres a world cup nothing compares to the amount of people that watch and take part - all around the country and every other country i nthe world. lets get rid of it though because you dont like it ..

there are plenty of city fans who support england and travel everywhere to watch them. i can bet there will be loads in france next year

Firstly, I have no problem with the English National Team. My views are that Int. Football in 2015 is literally pointless as it was an initial tool for Diplomacy amongst nations.
in 2015 this planet is much more diversified, multi-cultural with people from all over the world living in different countries.
More and more people speak different languages, have family in other countries and so on.
There is no need for international football in 2015 - other than to line the fat pockets of The FA and their corporate sponsors.
It isn't a mistake why we are constantly bombarded and enticed to buy a Vauxhall car whilst eating a Mars Bar during England games.

Our own fop flight national league only had %29 British playing in it last week.
Who would you say was English and started for City last week? Joe Hart and Raheem Sterling.... Raheem's Mother is Jamaican, so that leaves Joe Hart
and if you only go back a few hundred years you'll see where his blonde hair originates from the invading bastard :D

Seriously though, Lads from all different countries compete and train with each other on a regular basis in leagues throughout the world.
There is just no need for international football as it's already going on at club level.
Sure only a few years ago before the advent of Tv Broadcasting rights it was rare you'd see a "Foreigner" in the leagues.

Today, it's more of a rariety if you see an English player in the top flight.

I'm proud to be English - that is completely seperate from my views of football.
And I don't have to sing a fucking song dedicated to some German freeloading woman to show my national pride.

If the national anthem was Jerusalem I would sing it.

And for the record - I've been all over watching England. I haven't just been a Sofa Viewer, wearing an England shirt if we are winning... I'll watch England but it's something I disagree with.... I no longer attend matches for a combination of reasons including how corrupt it is ( we all know Rooney would not be the goldenboy if he had stayed at Everton)
And that fucking awful band.... AAAAAAAAARRRRRRRGHHH! try standing in the fucking stadium next to that bastard band.
Fucking awful.

Tv on mute!

Despise international breaks. Two this season and we've already had 3 players crocked, fucking shit games and shit competitions

We've played all of 8 domestic league games and have already had 2 international breaks.
How about lettting the players get up to speed before playing the internationals.
Far too early, imo.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.