Jack Byrne

Status
Not open for further replies.

leighton

Has any of you guys seen this lad play?? Seen him play for the Irish teams at youth level and looks like he can pick a pass. Also seems to have something about him. Not going to say he will make to the squad but a prospect from what I seen. Just would love to know if any of you guys that watch the teams EDS and what you think of him.

Good article on him here:

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/jack-byrne-impressing-manchester-city-6262718" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/ ... ty-6262718</a>

Rising City star Jack Byrne has a neat sense of timing – in more ways than one.

The 17-year-old Irish starlet’s manager Patrick Vieira questioned comparisons between his midfield general and United legend Paul Scholes because Byrne does not pop up in the box and score goals.

Three days later, Byrne popped up in the box and scored the second goal in a 2-0 win over Arsenal!

The Dubliner is just as precise in the manner of his play and has been the Blues' outstanding player – alongside Marcos Lopes – in a UEFA Youth League campaign which continues against CSKA Moscow at Hyde next Tuesday (3pm).

It was former City star Niall Quinn who compared Byrne to Scholes, after watching him mastermind the Blues’ win at Viktoria Plzen in the first-ever match in the new tournament, which shadows the senior sides’ Champions League games.

That was great news for Byrne, who admits he models his game on ex-England man Scholes, and counts Quinn as a hero from his time with the Republic of Ireland.

The immaculate passing, ability to find space and time in the hurly-burly of midfield and quickness of thought – as well as small stature – are all reminiscent of Scholes, but Vieira feels the teenager will develop into his own player.

Byrne looked excellent on a hard, bumpy pitch in Moscow, and Vieira said: “It was another very good performance from Jack. In all three games in the UEFA Youth League, he has been fantastic.

“What I like about Jack is his personality. He doesn’t get scared at all, he just plays his football and some of his passing in Moscow was excellent.

“He can be different to Scholes, who was more about getting in the box – he scores more goals than Jack, so I think Jack will be a different type of player. But they are both great on the ball.

“Jack is really young and not afraid – he really wants to play. He has taken the responsibility, and is a strong boy.

“Physically he is not impressive at all, but his technique and first touch are excellent and he always likes to play forwards.

“Now he needs to keep playing, keep working hard and like all the lads at this club he needs to take the opportunity that presents itself. If he keeps working hard, the chance will come for him to challenge himself at a different level.”

Byrne’s old coach at St Kevin’s in Ireland, Alan Caffrey, felt that Byrne’s style would have suited Barcelona, but the Ireland Under-19 player chose City after he was pursued by several English clubs.

The youngster has already trained with the first team, and admitted that his deft, quick-thinking style is down to his slight stature.

“I try to stay one step ahead, in your head, know where the next pass is going,” he said.

“The worst thing you can do is take a first touch when your head is down, when you don’t know what to do and are flapping around with the ball – you are going to get clattered.

“I’m not the biggest so I have to be clever. I can’t take two or three touches and get into a physical battle. For me it’s one-touch, two-touch, keep the ball moving.”

He also played in the U-18 derby, the highlights are on the other thread

Will have a look at the highlights only a young lad but you look at Lopes and Huws all getting a chance in the league cup whos to say Jack wont get a push into that team in a year or 2 time so young only 17 or 18 bright future and to be talked so highly from Vieria is such high praise and hopefully more to come from this kid.

He looks absolute class to me. Like a typical Barca player.

Eyes in the back of his head so he is happy to recieve the ball under pressure & trust himself to get a pass away, a little bit like Ali Benarbia would.

It's hard to say whether he will make it at City though for the simple reason of his physical size & the position he plays. He usually plays deeper than Silva for instance. Not sure if he moved forward, whether he has the kind of genius required to play that role in our team, but wouldn't write it off either.

The problem he could have playing deep in the Premier League, was highlighted on Monday, with 3 Chelsea players bulldozing through Yaya Toure. No way could he match that physically.

BUT, if he can one day make the transition to the top level, in a City team which played in a Barca style, he is the sort of player who could take the ball off Joe Hart & find passes & angles to get us playing from the back, even under pressure, so totally outwitting the Chelsea type bulldozer.

Unless he has some big setback, he will be a class player for someone imo. It's just whether it will be in the Prem, at City or not.

Great prospect.

He's still not established himself in the EDS starting line up yet, so it's still very early, but from the little I've seen of him he's looked class. A very un-British player, taking up intelligent positions deep with his head up and always looking for his teammates. Great to see these sort of players in our academy as opposed to the usual physical players

I heard he had offers from a number of top clubs around England before he went to City. Yes he seems a good player. Still think muscle and power is still to come still only playing U19s or whatever it is and the power and strenght will come as well. Learning from Silva and Nasri and Yaya will bring him on if he trains with the first team. Might be 1 of those players who can play well in any team.<br /><br />-- Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:09 pm --<br /><br />Well congrats to Jack on being name Irish under 17 player of the year. So glad to see a blue player getting a award.

As an Irishman i'm interested in this lad, especially after his Tour Diaries from this summer, anyone tell me how good he is/could be?

Thread here mate from a few months back
<a class="postlink-local" href="http://forums.bluemoon-mcfc.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=297116&p=7525200&hilit=jack+byrne#p7525200" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">viewtopic.php?f=17&t=297116&p=7525200&hilit=jack+byrne#p7525200</a>

FantasyIreland said:
Thread here mate from a few months back
<a class="postlink-local" href="http://forums.bluemoon-mcfc.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=297116&p=7525200&hilit=jack+byrne#p7525200" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">viewtopic.php?f=17&t=297116&p=7525200&hilit=jack+byrne#p7525200</a>
Cheers! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.