Jan Vertonghen

spurspinter1 said:
I think he could be a possible target for us, the move would make a lot of sense to me.

Harry was there last night but would have probably been there anyway as we do play Utd fairly soon.

Our CB position is a strange one, we can go from full strength to bare bones in a day, if King's knee swells up and Gallas has another muscle issue then we're down to Dawson and Kaboul. I think Kaboul is a class centre back, and whilst Dawson gives everything and puts his body on the line I don't think he offers the same kind of quality, experience and calmness that King and Gallas do. Without wanting to put too much expectation on his shoulders Caulker looks like he could be King's successor, but may need another solid season in the premiership before being ready.

If Jan came to us whenever King and Gallas were injured (which is likely to be pretty often) he'd get a chance to fill in at CB alongside Kaboul, and would cement that position when they both retire, and until then, he'd be providing cover at left back (which we do need) and DM, he'd get plenty of games.

Three birds with one stone and would hopefully be fairly cheap as well with the contract situation, it would be a pretty savy move. If we got him in for around 10m and Hoilett on a free, we'd have sorted out a bunch of our squad issues without spending too much. Then it's only the striker situation to sort out, and who knows what the fucks going to happen there?

With Harry checking out JV, i was wondering what you thought of that? Just seems strange that he is nailed on for the England job, yet it looks like he is looking at summer transfers. I personally think Harry would be daft to give up the Spurs job for a poisoned chalice like England. Adebayor, a very good CB, JV, and a world class/very good right winger/midfielder and i think Harry could have Spurs challenging for the title next season in a major way.

How can the England job be better than that? From a decade at Bournemouth, to Premier League champions...i couldn't think of anything better.

Ricster said:
spurspinter1 said:
I think he could be a possible target for us, the move would make a lot of sense to me.

Harry was there last night but would have probably been there anyway as we do play Utd fairly soon.

Our CB position is a strange one, we can go from full strength to bare bones in a day, if King's knee swells up and Gallas has another muscle issue then we're down to Dawson and Kaboul. I think Kaboul is a class centre back, and whilst Dawson gives everything and puts his body on the line I don't think he offers the same kind of quality, experience and calmness that King and Gallas do. Without wanting to put too much expectation on his shoulders Caulker looks like he could be King's successor, but may need another solid season in the premiership before being ready.

If Jan came to us whenever King and Gallas were injured (which is likely to be pretty often) he'd get a chance to fill in at CB alongside Kaboul, and would cement that position when they both retire, and until then, he'd be providing cover at left back (which we do need) and DM, he'd get plenty of games.

Three birds with one stone and would hopefully be fairly cheap as well with the contract situation, it would be a pretty savy move. If we got him in for around 10m and Hoilett on a free, we'd have sorted out a bunch of our squad issues without spending too much. Then it's only the striker situation to sort out, and who knows what the fucks going to happen there?

With Harry checking out JV, i was wondering what you thought of that? Just seems strange that he is nailed on for the England job, yet it looks like he is looking at summer transfers. I personally think Harry would be daft to give up the Spurs job for a poisoned chalice like England. Adebayor, a very good CB, JV, and a world class/very good right winger/midfielder and i think Harry could have Spurs challenging for the title next season in a major way.

How can the England job be better than that? From a decade at Bournemouth, to Premier League champions...i couldn't think of anything better.

Only Harry knows what he's thinking really, England would be a terrible move for him in my opinion but if he does see it as the ultimate honour to manage his country then you can't fault him for wanting to do it, although it will only end in tears. No chance of winning Euros, and no chance of winning in Brazil unless there's some major changes.

The clamouring for an Englishman is laughable, similar to when everyone was desperate for Mclaren after Sven, now Capello's gone all of a sudden an Englishman will be what turns a pretty mediocre bunch of players in to a dominant force on the international scene.

He may have just been there to watch Utd as we do have them soon so perhaps he wasn't really watching the Ajax centre back with much interest. Seems like player who could fit in in to our set up well though, hopefully should the worst happen Levy's got something lined up and will have discussed transfer targets.<br /><br />-- Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:39 pm --<br /><br />
Shooter 83 said:
No doubt you will use all the tricks in the book to get him for peanuts then hardly play him and ask for 20m for him in a couple of years. Horrible club.

Can you give me an example of this happening to pad out your thoughts a bit?

Blue Haze said:
Guess my point was, is there any guarantee that Vertonghen would beat out Lescott? Silva is the only guy in the bunch I see as a "we spent money that position is now settled" type player.

I guess I don't view it that way. But even in stark reality claims, the answer is Yes, eventually he will. In 2 years Lescott will be well into the wrong side of 30, and JV will be closing in on his peak. It would be like Comparing Kompany to Kolo Toure. 7 years ago Kompany couldn't light a torch to Kolo. Even 2 and a half years ago, he couldn't. Now Kompany is light years ahead of Kolo. So at worst, eventually (and that is in a year or 2 tops) he'd most likely be light years ahead of Lescott.

Personally, I think he is already way better than Lescott, but I understand the "untested, Lescott been great this year, Lescott is English e.t.c." arguments. And I give it some deference. But when it comes down to it, he is 29 years old, and really will never be a WC CD. JV has WC potential, is probably already as good defending (needs to show it at the top), and certainly light years ahead in possession.
So yes, I think he is a better footballer. But even if I was wrong, no problem having 3 Solid CDs on the squad. Let them compete.

Ricster said:
Dax, noticed you gave Montpellier a mention, and a player im watching at the moment is Mbiwa, a CB at the club, i've only seen him once in the last month against Lyon, but he stood out for me, and the guy is an absolute beast. Say JV wasn't available, i would like your opinion if youd be happy with Mbiwa?
Yup! Man, you are like an encyclopedia of talent. Dude is on track to being special. I am holding off though. Don't want to jump the gun like I did with Luiz :P

Seen him a few times, and he is marvelous. Plays like a 30 yearold Vet. Positioning and decision making is off the charts. Got that Vertonghen/Luiz ballskill to boot! My kinda guy :)

We definitely needs a strong andntalented CB, although of the latest improvement in Lescott performance. If not for the present, it is for the future and in case we need a replacement

Just scored an impressive goal for Ajax against excelsior, looks really dangerous attacking

class act!! him and vinnie would form a formindable partnership!

And as for the spurs fan - you're always signing players on the cheap then trying to con clubs in paying more money in a few years times.

He scored again this weekend. ;)

He also confirmed Arsenal intrest in him and a move this summer if the clubs can get to an agreement (on national tv sports show).

In_Good_Kompany said:
class act!! him and vinnie would form a formindable partnership!

And as for the spurs fan - you're always signing players on the cheap then trying to con clubs in paying more money in a few years times.

haha, damn us for minimising our expenditure and maximising our profits, what scummy bastards we truly are.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.