'Jo' Shares Some Moments from his Time at the Club

Scored a decent goal in a Europa Cup game, and one put on a plate against Portsmouth...can't remember any more??
I think he scored at Salzburg and in Cyprus too that season, his Europa goals are about the only decent thing I can remember from his time at City, in the Prem he was garbage.

I live in Russia and followed him playing for CSKA because he was linked with us for ages. Thought he'd prove a really good buy for us - shows how good a judge I am. Don't think in principle it was that bad a signing, especially as I'm led to believe we didn't pay anything like the quoted EUR 24 million for him. There were a lot of add-ons built into the deal that were never triggered.

I don't think tnat was a bad deal for a player who was 21 when we bought him who was the top scorer in the 6th best league in Europe by UEFA coefficient, had scored goals against quality opponents in the CL, and had already been capped by Brazil. It didn't work out, but I think he was too fond of partying and not prepared to work hard enough to improve his game, unfortunately (which is why Moyes bombed him out of Everton). He also wasn't helped by the fact that he was bought when Sven was still manager but arrived after the appointment of Mark Hughes, who clearly didn't want him.

He wasn't particularly influential in 2010/11, when he came back after his loan spells at Everton and Galatasaray, but he stayed with us for the full season and made 24 appearances (mostly as a substitute) in all competitions over the campaign: http://bluemoon-mcfc.co.uk/History/Matches/Season.aspx?id=110

His three goals in 2010/11 came against Red Bull Salzburg and Juve in the UEFA Cup plus one in the LC at West Brom when Mancini played a virtual reserve side. When he first joined us, he got the one against Pompey and two away to Omonia Nicosia in the UEFA Cup.

Last edited:
It was Jo who caused the rift between Sven & Shinawatra. The latter told Sven to buy him in January as he was seen as a statement signing. Sven had other names in mind, they had a big row and Thaksin threw a vase or something similar at Sven. Missed the target fortunately, as did Jo on a regular basis.

It was Jo who caused the rift between Sven & Shinawatra. The latter told Sven to buy him in January as he was seen as a statement signing. Sven had other names in mind, they had a big row and Thaksin threw a vase or something similar at Sven. Missed the target fortunately, as did Jo on a regular basis.

The problem was that Thaksin couldn't or wouldn't inject cash to pay for signings in the January 2008 transfer window, but Sven wanted a proven top class striker to help us push for the top four - and we couldn't afford one. CSKA were prepared to take a fee for Jo in indstalments with a relatively small down payment, which is presumably why he appealed to Thaksin. Of course, we ended up with Benjani, who scored one more goal in his City career than Jo eventually did (but earned a little place in our history by scoring in our first derby win at Old Trafford since Harold Wilson was PM).

there was a rumour going around that we bought the wrong player - city were actually after vagner love!

there was a rumour going around that we bought the wrong player - city were actually after vagner love!
So who was that fucker in the Arndale if it wasn't Love?

I miss the heady days of those transfer windows. Benjani dozing off at the airport, Mido pissing off to the pyramids etc.

I never wanted him. Had a bad feeling when we were linked with him. We got the wrong Brazilian, we should have gone for Wagner Love.........

“In Robinho’s debut against Portsmouth in 2008 I scored my first goal with Manchester City’s shirt, but this game had a really funny story before......

Not how I remember it. Robihno's debut was against Chelsea

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.