John Stones - 2016/17 performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
to be fair vs. Everton, he wasn't exactly the last line as Clichy was back covering, although he of course got completely skinned by Lukaku.

Clichy was over the left hand side and tracked across. Lukaku was travelling at pace and was approaching the goal when Clichy got over. It was a good finish, still had plenty to do.

Clichy was over the left hand side and tracked across. Lukaku was travelling at pace and was approaching the goal when Clichy got over. It was a good finish, still had plenty to do.

Clichy tracked across, but it wasn't as if he had to go at break-neck speed. He comfortably got to Lukaku, but was just out-muscled and out-skilled. He could have been 10 yards from Lukaku and the same result most likely.

Looks amazing on the ball for the most part, but right now he cannot defend when someone runs at him. He just keeps dropping back and dropping back. He was pretty good preventing wide men from crossing, but he's completely flat footed and afraid if it's a head on. Nowhere near where some fans think he is. That must be 4 goals so far this year on his shoulders.

Looks amazing on the ball for the most part, but right now he cannot defend when someone runs at him. He just keeps dropping back and dropping back. He was pretty good preventing wide men from crossing, but he's completely flat footed and afraid if it's a head on. Nowhere near where some fans think he is. That must be 4 goals so far this year on his shoulders.
Agreed, he is still the same player he was at Everton. He may get better, or he may keep making errors and lose his place. Definitely need to stop with the over-hyping bollocks of a young player because he's had a couple of classy games against cannon fodder. For all his talent on the ball, it was only really Kompany who was trying to break the lines with his passing. I think Stones at centre back has been of a similar standard to Kolarov at centre back to be honest.

Rather than " taken down a peg or two " , he is more likely to being encouraged by Pep as Stones is his type of player.
By all means the boy needs encouragement but he has to improve his concentration and overall awareness. He is not the finished article by a long way but has the talent.
I trust in Pep to sort him out.

By all means the boy needs encouragement but he has to improve his concentration and overall awareness. He is not the finished article by a long way but has the talent.
I trust in Pep to sort him out.
I think he's got confidence issues to be honest.

I think he's got confidence issues to be honest.
Overconfidence.
He was looking the other way when he passed the ball backward for their goal on Sunday. Looked careless to me.
As I said, he is technically v gifted but prone to concentration lapses and the odd loose pass which we cannot afford.

Jeez..first time on johns thread..a lot of moaners..leave this young man alone..he is a good player..Support and get behind him..I'm ashamed of some of our support.

Overconfidence.
He was looking the other way when he passed the ball backward for their goal on Sunday. Looked careless to me.
As I said, he is technically v gifted but prone to concentration lapses and the odd loose pass which we cannot afford.

Professional footballers pass without looking all the fucking time FFS. This is the most ridiculous criticism of the whole season. You do realise why players are constantly shouting to each other, right? It's so they know where each other are.

"Taken down a peg or two" what a load of self righteous tripe.

Professional footballers pass without looking all the fucking time FFS. This is the most ridiculous criticism of the whole season. You do realise why players are constantly shouting to each other, right? It's so they know where each other are.

"Taken down a peg or two" what a load of self righteous tripe.
I guess you don't agree then.
I also guess you don't think that was a careless pass or possibly a mistake at all.
I have repeatedly stated that Stones is a v good player but to me (and it is only my point of view) he has too much confidence in his own ability at this stage. In other words he needs to be a bit more fecking careful when passing the ball in certain situations.
As far as professional footballers passing without looking there are times when they really should think about doing so i.e. when passing back to your keeper with opposition players lurking about.
That's only my opinion...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.