Lionel Messi | Joins Inter Miami (pg4111)

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's difficult to compare Maradonna and Messi, one was a flawed genius, the other a consummate professional.

Maradonna single handedly won his country the World Cup in 1986 and Napoli's first Serie A title 1987, with his brilliance pretty much condensed in that two year period. His wild lifestyle, involvement with unsavoury people and being quite partial to the old Columbian marching powder led his career downwards from there on. Internationally Maradonna leaves Messi behind, but that's not the whole picture.

Messi has at domestic level has an unrivalled record, he is a one club man and has delivered every season. It is debatable whether Barcelona would have had the same success without his contribution, which for me makes him the better all round player in terms of achievement and professionalism.

You only need to have seen both play to know.

I've seen both play and both are as gifted, in my opinion. Maradonna carried Argentina to THAT World Cup and Argentinians
will always have more of an affinity to Maradonna, because of his World Cup exploits. It's almost impossible to compare
footballers of that era to now, as we saw a lot less games back then. How many shit or good games did you see Maradonna have for
Napoli ? To judge purely on his World Cup exploits, doesn't really tell the whole story.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.