London Stadium (West Ham) - Visitors Opinion

WhenProgrammesWereAShilling

Ive been down in the smoke for a week so i thought i would take a game in at the new home of West Ham and managed to get myself a ticket in the away section, i hope my opinions of the ground are of interest;

We stopped off for a beer beforehand on Stratford High Street at 'The Butchers' which is a traditional no frills local which had a good mix of ages and in the main many seemed long standing Hammers. Next to this pub was a 'Pie and Mash' stand which sold the speciality for a fiver a portion... not my cup of tea but there you go. Its roughly a fifteen minute walk to the ground from the pub via a couple of side streets and a bridge under the railway and road, you could park in the Westfield Shopping Centre car parks (signposted from the A12) and try the more upmarket bars and eating houses within but they are pricey and its a good walk.

The approaches to the stadium are wide and programmes are on sale outside for £3.50, alongside the usual mechandise outlets and food vendors. Fish and Chips from one of these was £8.50....

The stadiums modern design was made to look a bit tacky in my opinion due to the fabric wrap they have put on the exterior to hide the fact you are otherwise looking at the underneath of the concrete upper tier terracing. Suppose a classy glass finish was beyond the builders as they only spent £300m converting the Olympic Stadium into this. Inside the usual modern food and drink outlets and modern loos. The only draught beer was Amstel at £5 a pint, and theirs not many cubicles if you need a number two so make sure you go beforehand!

We sat in block 117 which was in the lower tier near the corner flag and it seems their nobheads are in 116. Theirs a gap between these blocks as the seating here is temporary and is retractable. If you want to avoid the bullshit go in block 118 which is the middle block in the lower tier. The rake is pretty shallow and your quite a way from the pitch, best views i would say would be towards the back of the lower tier or the front of the upper tier, although the front tier is covered and a decent view is to be had where ever you are, unless right at the back of the upper tier! This temporary seating reminded me of the school theatre but the huge TV screens are a winner and needed when the action is at the opposite end.

To get back to the concourse from your seat you have to walk over a platform which is actually above the permanent seating which is in place below for when the athletics is on. At the end the steward said all fans are let out together, no one is held back so that could make for fun and games from time to time.

To sum up, its not on a par with us or Arsenal by any stretch and i would say its better as an athletics stadium than a football one. I cannot blame West Ham for wanting the move, but sometimes what you wish for...
The atmosphere is decent but they dont sing that often, well not at the moment they dont. It made me realise again how lucky we are and how well our stadium was converted from athletics to football. Good luck to them but when the novelty of the new stadium wears off they may well struggle, and i think the fact the stands are well away from the pitch favours the away team every time.

Interesting report Whenprogs.........I know that the World Athlectics are due in 2017(maybe June). During the Olympic Games there were daily crowds of 80,000 - making London a greatly supported in the modern games. I also know they have brought the floodlights inside the roof. Still the triangular shape.
Are you able to answer this : Whammers current capacity is limited to 57,000 - so has the stadium 'lost' 20,000 odd seats?.
Also , do you know if the Athletics will have a capacity of say 60,000.
Thanks

I very good insight and top marks for not mentioning the thousands of empty seats. I don't think the same respect would've been shown the other way round

They need safe standing at that ground. Think Brady and co are to blame for at lot of current the issues at the stadium.

Seats do look a bit to far of the pitch for my taste

On a different note how good does Spurs proposed stadium look

tottenham-hotspur-stadium-520x313.jpg

Interesting report Whenprogs.........I know that the World Athlectics are due in 2017(maybe June). During the Olympic Games there were daily crowds of 80,000 - making London a greatly supported in the modern games. I also know they have brought the floodlights inside the roof. Still the triangular shape.
Are you able to answer this : Whammers current capacity is limited to 57,000 - so has the stadium 'lost' 20,000 odd seats?.
Also , do you know if the Athletics will have a capacity of say 60,000.
Thanks

Hi and yes your right about the lights. The roof has been expanded inwards to cover all the seating and the new inner section is translucent. The floodlights which were on top of the original roof have been hung upside down from the new roof line.
The capacity has been reduced i presume because the original lower tier has been covered on 3 sides (the 2 ends and one side) by the temporary/retractable seating which does not have as many seats, yet you are still quite a way from the pitch on all sides. It just dont work for me i think its weird but everyone is entitled to an opinion and some people may think its great. Theres lots of wasted space between tiers as the 2 ends do not fit together, theres a big gap between the temporary stands and the permanent ones, thats when you take the platform walk!

The temporary stands are moved for the athletics because they cover the track in parts, as well as permanent seating, but i dont know what the capacity will be for athletics sorry.

Ive tried to be honest here and not biased, for what theyve paid its still probably a great deal, im just glad its theirs not ours!

They need safe standing at that ground. Think Brady and co are to blame for at lot of current the issues at the stadium.

That looks excellent. Finally a stadium designed with the fans/experience in mind. That end stand will be a wall of noise.

Hi and yes your right about the lights. The roof has been expanded inwards to cover all the seating and the new inner section is translucent. The floodlights which were on top of the original roof have been hung upside down from the new roof line.
The capacity has been reduced i presume because the original lower tier has been covered on 3 sides (the 2 ends and one side) by the temporary/retractable seating which does not have as many seats, yet you are still quite a way from the pitch on all sides. It just dont work for me i think its weird but everyone is entitled to an opinion and some people may think its great. Theres lots of wasted space between tiers as the 2 ends do not fit together, theres a big gap between the temporary stands and the permanent ones, thats when you take the platform walk!

The temporary stands are moved for the athletics because they cover the track in parts, as well as permanent seating, but i dont know what the capacity will be for athletics sorry.

Ive tried to be honest here and not biased, for what theyve paid its still probably a great deal, im just glad its theirs not ours!
Thanks for your reply. It has answered a few queries of mine.
Only time will tell if Whammers are successful. Good set of fans.

Looks like shit. Some tosser is after writing Tottenh*m H*tspur on one of the stands as well, they need to have a word, they'll have children in that stadium.

I was in that neck of the woods this time last year so went to have a gander. The best thing compared to Upton Park is that the transport links are far better to/from Stratford,with two tube lines, the Overground and other trains, plus there's a bus terminus. So you shouldn't be queueing for ages at the Upton Park tube (I used to walk to East Ham to avoid that when I lived down there & wasn't in a car).

There's plenty of bars/restaurants in the Westfield Centre but less in Stratford itself from what I could see. There's the standard KFC, Burger King, McDonalds & Subway in the Stratford Centre over the road from the Westfield Centre and there's a couple of pubs in the centre of Stratford that I could see. So not really the huge choice of watering holes that you got around Barking Road.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.