M60 "Smart Motorway".

Re: M60 "Smart Motorway".

Loukas said:
Well they need to do something. If you don't believe me, try and drive over Barton bridge between 4pm - 6pm tonight!!

The problems on that stretch and Simister Island in the evening and between J18 and J12 in the morning won't be solved by a few cameras and a 50mph speed limit. It's all down to the design. In the morning the traffic coming on at Worsley going onto the M60 anti-clockwise slows down the flow of traffic already on the M60 trying to get onto the M62/M602. That then causes it to back up further up the M60 and M61. If they stopped traffic coming onto the M60 from J13 and built a new link road to the M62 that would solve that problem.

At Simister Island the traffic for the eastern part of the M60 has to come off and go through the lights at the roundabout. So you also get hold-ups there. If they could just go round uninterrupted that would solve that problem.

smart or not two hour tailbacks last night at 7pm.....Think someone was jumping off the bridge at Prestwich......not sure but wasn't good

ColinBellsjockstrap said:
BlueBearBoots said:
Errr what's a "smart motorway" ?

Especially reserved for people that text on smart phone whilst driving, so that's around 20% of the driving population......:)

Its a motorway that recognises idiots, people hogging the middle lane, hitting the brakes instead of lifting off the accelerator, driving too slowly or driving up the arse of the car in front etc etc.

All of these offenders are taken out with twat seeking missiles, leaving the rest of us to get where we are going without any hassle.

It is cost saving and revenue generation plain and simple.

Cost of widening a motorway is estimated at £79m per mile. Installing a 'smart' motorway is roughly £15m per mile.

Except that the 'smart' motorway can start recouping that cost with the cameras.

I also would like to know why they can be called 'smart'? Last year I was on the Leeds section Eastbound at 2am returning home from Manchester Airport and the road was absolutely empty. According to the smart motorway message boards there was workmen in the road and 40 signs were flashed up all along the stretch. Needless to say there was no such workmen in the road. After all when do you ever see workmen on a motorway during a working day let along at 2am on a Saturday morning?

Blue Til Death said:
BlueBearBoots said:
Errr what's a "smart motorway" ?

Especially reserved for people that text on smart phone whilst driving, so that's around 20% of the driving population......:)

Its a motorway that recognises idiots, people hogging the middle lane, hitting the brakes instead of lifting off the accelerator, driving too slowly or driving up the arse of the car in front etc etc.

All of these offenders are taken out with twat seeking missiles, leaving the rest of us to get where we are going without any hassle.

add to that lane weaving and I'll happily fire the missiles myself :)

BlueBearBoots said:
Blue Til Death said:

with twats in the middle lane sometimes you have no choice but to undertake then overtake the next one in the left hand lane then the next dick in the middle lane....

And so on and so on

Bollocks to going from the left hand lane all the way to the third lane and back again

mancityvstoke said:
BlueBearBoots said:
Blue Til Death said:

with twats in the middle lane sometimes you have no choice but to undertake then overtake the next one in the left hand lane then the next dick in the middle lane....

And so on and so on

Bollocks to going from the left hand lane all the way to the third lane and back again

so its you! BMW or white van? both nearly took me out this morning :(

BlueBearBoots said:
mancityvstoke said:
BlueBearBoots said:

And so on and so on

so its you! BMW or white van? both nearly took me out this morning :(

stop doing 60 in the middle lane whilst texting and putting your lippy on then

should have been a widening scheme to four lanes - cancelled as too expensive

should have had hard shoulder running from J12 to J18 - cancelled as still too expensive

variable speed limits and cameras on gantries - oooo yes let's have those as we can MAKE money

so now we're stuck with NO extra capacity, £250million spent and speeding tickets like confetti

DfT is spending £250M for precisely... nothing

This is the M60 Stupid Motorway

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.