Maine Road FC

aussie blake

Probably a long shot but anyone heading to Maine Road FC tonight?
It’s something I’ve talked up wanting to do for a good decade and a half or so, and seeing this train I’m on that’s about to get going from Euston to Manchester appears not to have been cancelled, looks like I’m finally gonna do it!
If anyone is especially keen - thinking I may go exploring some of the pubs not far from the stadium - The Claremont Inn, Royal Oak and The Chorlton Tap… otherwise hope to see some of you at the ground!!

Probably a long shot but anyone heading to Maine Road FC tonight?
It’s something I’ve talked up wanting to do for a good decade and a half or so, and seeing this train I’m on that’s about to get going from Euston to Manchester appears not to have been cancelled, looks like I’m finally gonna do it!
If anyone is especially keen - thinking I may go exploring some of the pubs not far from the stadium - The Claremont Inn, Royal Oak and The Chorlton Tap… otherwise hope to see some of you at the ground!!
Good luck and enjoy - there aren't too many pubs (if any) in the local vacinty of the ground which is in Whalley Range.

Bit of a travesty how MRFC aren’t higher up in the pyramid. Be nice to be thrashing the plastic rags every now and again.

Bit of a travesty how MRFC aren’t higher up in the pyramid. Be nice to be thrashing the plastic rags every now and again.

It’s all about the money, even at that level. I don’t think Maine Road pay them anything, except expenses. At least they didn’t in my day. The more you pay the players, the higher up the pyramid you are.

Be good to be confirmed by someone more in the know, but weren’t they formed by fans to play for fun and fitness on the days City didn’t and were never formed to be a team to be up the pyramid.

Be good to be confirmed by someone more in the know, but weren’t they formed by fans to play for fun and fitness on the days City didn’t and were never formed to be a team to be up the pyramid.

The started as a Sunday league team by the Rusholme branch of the supporters club. Then switched to Saturdays and changed the name to Maine Road. Not sure if the two things happened at exactly the same time though.

From Wiki
The club was formed in 1955 by supporters of Manchester City under the name City Supporters Rusholme. They played friendly matches before joining the Rusholme Sunday League, remaining members until transferring to the Manchester Amateur Sunday League in 1966. The club also moved its headquarters to the Maine Road Social Club and were renamed Maine Road Football Club. After winning the Manchester County Sunday Cup and the league title in 1971–72, the club switched to Saturday football and joined Division Two of the Manchester League.

It’s all about the money, even at that level. I don’t think Maine Road pay them anything, except expenses. At least they didn’t in my day. The more you pay the players, the higher up the pyramid you are.
Very true , maybe they should become part of the CFG.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.