Messi Oh Dear

dobobobo said:
Scotland_WC2010 said:
72 goals and 29 assists this year for his club, top scorer in the champions league for the last 4 seasons, top goalscorer in Barcelona history, most league goals in a Spanish season - breaking record after record and yet he still needs to prove himself in the Premier League?

Yes for the simple clear fact that it is a different league and this is modern football. Hell he's never played a professional game for a team in Argentina!

-- Sun May 06, 2012 10:51 am --

GazC said:
dobobobo said:
Why is it? Pray do explain your throw away comment.

Same can be said of Feruson. In this modern game I can't see how players can be considered the greatest if they just stick with one club. Each league is different and IMO a greatest player is one who can prove he can play in a number of them.

Like another poster correctly pointed out. How great has Messi been against Chelsea?

Oh dear.

You got nothing then.

Great post!

Half term already?

dobobobo said:
Yes for the simple clear fact that it is a different league and this is modern football. Hell he's never played a professional game for a team in Argentina!

He outperforms Ronaldo who ripped up the Premier League. La Liga is not inferior to the Premier League and a player's ability cannot be questioned based only on the fact that he is in a different league. Aguero has near enough the same numbers as he did in Spain, Torres had more in his seasons at Liverpool, Henry had less in Spain than he did for Arsenal.

Scotland_WC2010 said:
dobobobo said:

He outperforms Ronaldo who ripped up the Premier League. La Liga is not inferior to the Premier League and a player's ability cannot be questioned based only on the fact that he is in a different league. Aguero has near enough the same numbers as he did in Spain, Torres had more in his seasons at Liverpool, Henry had less in Spain than he did for Arsenal.
Diego Forlan? Using that analogy is nonsense.

He is a great player but in a fantastic team. He doesn't have to carry Barca like Maradona carried Napoli. The only team he has to carry is Argentina and he never has been able to.

Paulmcfc2703 said:

He is a great player but in a fantastic team. He doesn't have to carry Barca like Maradona carried Napoli. The only team he has to carry is Argentina and he never has been able to.

Sure there are other sides to it, that analogy is not there to prove it is harder to score, it is to prove there isn't much difference.

Whether he is better than Maradona is another argument, I was replying to the statement that he could not be the best in the world right now since he hasn't played in England.

GazC said:
dobobobo said:
Scotland_WC2010 said:
72 goals and 29 assists this year for his club, top scorer in the champions league for the last 4 seasons, top goalscorer in Barcelona history, most league goals in a Spanish season - breaking record after record and yet he still needs to prove himself in the Premier League?

-- Sun May 06, 2012 10:51 am --

GazC said:

You got nothing then.

Great post!

Half term already?

Still nothing.

-- Sun May 06, 2012 11:35 am --

Scotland_WC2010 said:
dobobobo said:

Yes correct, this is the point I am making.

Messi is a great player, one of my favourites, but greatest...?

Scotland_WC2010 said:
Paulmcfc2703 said:

Sure there are other sides to it, that analogy is not there to prove it is harder to score, it is to prove there isn't much difference.

Whether he is better than Maradona is another argument, I was replying to the statement that he could not be the best in the world right now since he hasn't played in England.

I'm not saying he has to play in England. But if I remember correctly, he has been at Barca since he was 13. For sure that club is like a family to him. But I look at his tallent and think why doesn't he put it to the test at other clubs where a team isn't built around him, etc.

That said, I don't think he gives a shit about being the greatest, he just wants to play football with a club he adores.

dobobobo said:
Scotland_WC2010 said:
Paulmcfc2703 said:

I'm not saying he has to play in England. But if I remember correctly, he has been at Barca since he was 13. For sure that club is like a family to him. But I look at his tallent and think why doesn't he put it to the test at other clubs where a team isn't built around him, etc.

That said, I don't think he gives a shit about being the greatest, he just wants to play football with a club he adores.

He might still leave Spain later on but I don't think he needs to just to be the greatest player in the world. Greatest of all time, who knows?

danburge82 said:
Forzacitizens said:
danburge82 said:
Ten games against English teams; one goal.

he scored 4 against Arsenal and twice against United in the two champions league finals
Arsenal! I forgot about games against Arsenal for some reason.

But he scored one header against United in the final in 2009 (which was the one goal I was counting before I remembered Arsenal). Last year Villa got two and Pedro one, Messi didn't score.
No Messi scored mate

Had a dream last night that he retired at the end of this season and immediately became our manager.

Fans and players alike were trying to persuade him to become our player manager.

He was having none of it.

Strange.

That's what you get for eating cheese and crackers before bed.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.