Millwall being forced to move

It's a disgrace. Forget the fact that it's Millwall for a few minutes and imagine if we rented a stadium and in a stroke the council pulled the rug due to greed, back handers and dodgy deals.
I quite agree. Having worked in London I know a few Millwall fans plus one of my favourite football books is Eamonn Dunphy's book about his last season there.

It's also a case of the more things change, the more things stay the same. Liverpool owe their existence to a somewhat similar set of circumstances. Everton played at Anfield originally before Liverpool were in existence, and the then Everton chairman and his mates bought some land that the club rented and was key to access to the ground. They put the rent up to a level they knew Everton couldn't afford and forced them to leave, whereby they bought a new set of players and founded Liverpool. Everton then built Goodison, which was supposedly the first purpose built football stadium.

I quite agree. Having worked in London I know a few Millwall fans plus one of my favourite football books is Eamonn Dunphy's book about his last season there.

It's also a case of the more things change, the more things stay the same. Liverpool owe their existence to a somewhat similar set of circumstances. Everton played at Anfield originally before Liverpool were in existence, and the then Everton chairman and his mates bought some land that the club rented and was key to access to the ground. They put the rent up to a level they knew Everton couldn't afford and forced them to leave, whereby they bought a new set of players and founded Liverpool. Everton then built Goodison, which was supposedly the first purpose built football stadium.

I lived near by in the early 90's. Went to the last game at the old Den and the first league game at the new one due to mate being a lifelong fan. For all their faults, and we all have them, the atmosphere was brilliant. Never enjoyed going there with City as I was viewed with suspicion from both sides due to my accent!

I lived near by in the early 90's. Went to the last game at the old Den and the first league game at the new one due to mate being a lifelong fan. For all their faults, and we all have them, the atmosphere was brilliant. Never enjoyed going there with City as I was viewed with suspicion from both sides due to my hairy feet and the fact I kept disappearing when I put the ring on!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.