North Stand Expansion

I think they’re staying in that the new extension will be built around them in the same way the as happened with the South Stand. I’d have thought the old supports would be needed to keep the OG cable net in tack.
Kerplunked :) That made me laugh.

Yeah, I was looking through the plans yesterday as I thought you were wrong about removing the old supports (either that or I'd just never considered it). They're definitely new supports on top of the build so it's going to be interesting.

You two along with some of the photos so far have had me questioning whether the main existing supports might possibly be staying and built around like with the South Stand. Overlaid (in green) onto the PA drawings and where they would sit. Yeah pretty convinced now they are indeed going.

Goes without saying that's the whole thing top to bottom and in reality would be different at each level as it slopes away. But even so, they are right in the way of some of the main concourse, and by the time it gets up to the vip areas, right in the middle of the main rooms. Some of the back cables are also in the way of the new hotel and office blocks, and the tops clash at the roof too.

I think seeing how they shoogle them out of there might possibly be one of the more interesting things on this build.

1000013021.jpg

1000013022.jpg1000013023.jpg1000013024.jpg

You two along with some of the photos so far have had me questioning whether the main existing supports might possibly be staying and built around like with the South Stand. Overlaid (in green) onto the PA drawings and where they would sit. Yeah pretty convinced now they are indeed going.

Goes without saying that's the whole thing top to bottom and in reality would be different at each level as it slopes away. But even so, they are right in the way of some of the main concourse, and by the time it gets up to the vip areas, right in the middle of the main rooms. Some of the back cables are also in the way of the new hotel and office blocks, and the tops clash at the roof too.

I think seeing how they shoogle them out of there might possibly be one of the more interesting things on this build.

View attachment 110825

View attachment 110827View attachment 110828View attachment 110829

I think these images are actually showing how the old roof supports will sit in the upgraded stand.

The cables would mostly go over the top of the levels (like at the South Stand end) and pass through the front support columns (currently being built) rather than through all the stand. The smaller ground cable supports would rest where the access tunnels are as in the first pic and the 2 big supports would sit inside the stand. Unless there’s something in those diagrams specially saying they’re being removed of course.

IMG_9493.jpeg

Last edited:
I think these images are actually showing how the old roof supports will sit in the upgraded stand.

The cables would mostly go over the top of the levels (like at the South Stand end) and pass through the front support columns (currently being built) rather than through all the stand. The smaller ground cable supports would rest where the access tunnels are as in the first pic and the 2 big supports would sit inside the stand. Unless there’s something in those diagrams specially saying they’re being removed of course.

They are noted as being removed, in the programme and construction plan. And they are not shown in any of the drawings, including the section along GL7 which is bang on through the middle of one of them. They could possibly have been omitted off the drawings to make them simpler for planning, but I just took it literally, to mean they are going.

Having added them on (note they are not actually part of the drawings), I am pretty convinced they are going. At ground level, they are a pretty big chunk in the middle of what is a fire escape route. I can't see the rear cables cutting through the two bolt-on buildings, and at the vip level it gets quite messy. Can't see how they would stay. But happy to watch and see.

They are noted as being removed, in the programme and construction plan. And they are not shown in any of the drawings, including the section along GL7 which is bang on through the middle of one of them. They could possibly have been omitted off the drawings to make them simpler for planning, but I just took it literally, to mean they are going.

Having added them on (note they are not actually part of the drawings), I am pretty convinced they are going. At ground level, they are a pretty big chunk in the middle of what is a fire escape route. I can't see the rear cables cutting through the two bolt-on buildings, and at the vip level it gets quite messy. Can't see how they would stay. But happy to watch and see.

Another sign they might be staying is that they’re already building around them.

IMG_9474.jpeg

Personally I hope you’re right though. Maybe they’d be able to support the OG net by linking it up to the new roof supports instead.

Another sign they might be staying is that they’re already building around them.
True. Hence the discussion. While the roof is in place, at least.

Personally I hope you’re right though. Maybe they’d be able to support the OG net by linking it up to the new roof supports instead.
That is what is shown on the construction management plan.

I imagine we will revisit this a few times through the build.

True. Hence the discussion. While the roof is in place, at least.

That is what is shown on the construction management plan.

I imagine we will revisit this a few times through the build.

Evidence on your side. The cable net support (shown in blue) looks like it would go through the expanded terrace and the sky bar (shown in black) if it were to remain.

IMG_9494.jpeg
Have you got the plan?

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.