Old Manchester

hilts said:
[bigimg]https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5020/5448560692_0febd0c612.jpg[/bigimg]

The joyous fort ardwick, i used to collect insurance money round there in the day, how i survived i don't know

[bigimg]http://www.mancky.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/crescents7.jpg[/bigimg]

Sunny hulme, looks like Chernobyl

That's the kind of stuff Hilts, Shooting Stars was filmed round the Hulme crescents I think, any more bleak 60's and 70's Brutalist architecture photo's of the good old days ? any of the 50's and 60's of a City and the last vestiges of its crumbling industrial past ?

Dave Ewing's Back 'eader said:
ColinBellsjockstrap said:
I grew up in Gorton in the 1950's/60's....

All rows of neat terraced houses like Coronation Street.

It was better then...It's a disgrace now.

Some City centre shops, long gone..

Avegarde Gallery

Paperchase.

Mazel Radio

Hurley's. Tyldesley and Holbrook and Cooke's Sports.

Harry Hall cycles, Cathedral street.....(now relocated)

Sports motorcycles, Liverpool Road...(Steve Wynne)

Derek Johnstone motorcyles.

Jack Bottomley's....Motorcycle spares..

Beatties models

Bradford model railway exchange...Picadilly Plaza

Brentford nylons

Lewis's

Bauer Millett...(Peter Street)

Cinephone cinema....(dirty mac essential)

Robinson's records

Central Radio ..(Shudehill)

Godley's/White & Kaye/Stensby's...all Shudehill.

Rofe's gunshop...Piccadilly.

Doll's hospital...Piccadilly.

Princess Road sports depot

The Model shop...(Bootle street)

Tib street chip shop.

A chip shop on Tib Street. I only remember pet shops! Dozens of 'em!

and army surplass stores ;)

MCFCTrick said:
Yanks Records behind where Rotters was ...... all American imports ... loved it in there.

The throwing out time at Jillys coincided with the throwing out time at Rotters which made for some interesting confrontations in the middle of Oxford Road.

chabal said:
MCFCTrick said:
Yanks Records behind where Rotters was ...... all American imports ... loved it in there.

The throwing out time at Jillys coincided with the throwing out time at Rotters which made for some interesting confrontations in the middle of Oxford Road.
Staying in this area who remembers how bad that end of Portland St used to be? I remember buildings being derelict and filthy. Bit smarter nowadays! And that temple restaurant? Used to be the scruffiest bogs in the world! I remember needing a pee when I was a kid and me mum took me there. She always used to take us to the cinema on Oxford Road. 123 from Lloyd Street south.

It may be fair to say old Manchester looked a bit grim, but it did have a lot going for it.

New Brown street was a sight to see, full of odd shops like "The 8th day", Market street was bustling as were all the side streets, and when it started to go dark the Starlings would flock between the buildings in their thousands.

The nightlife with every kind of club under the sun, The magic Village (Behind what was Henry's dept store) or the Cyprus tavern where the mix went from old hippies to hells angels an every shade in between, Taki`s, Top of the town, the twisted wheel, Mr Smiths for the trendy, the auto club, the black cat, the sports bar, even the Luxor club in Hulme for the serious drinkers. there were clubs an pubs in there hundreds.

Alexandra rd, could give any bazaar in the world a run for its money, if you could not buy it there, it did not exist, Princess rd, Stretford rd, City rd, chester rd, were lined with shops (An pubs), there were "Crofts" and waste ground in every area where kids would collect and fight over bonfire wood between streets.

No, looking back it was not that bad a place to be.................And we had Maine Rd ;0)

chabal said:
MCFCTrick said:

I remember those times all too well .....

I lived in moss side from 0-7 years old before moving to Wythenshawe.All these types of threads show me is that I'm getting older and things change around you,maybe they've changed for the better but nostalgia prevents us from seeing the real truth.

That's thesame as my Dad and his parents - moved to Boland (?) Road in Wyth and went to Yew Tree school. Did you know any Manns there?

101toMR said:
I lived in moss side from 0-7 years old before moving to Wythenshawe.All these types of threads show me is that I'm getting older and things change around you,maybe they've changed for the better but nostalgia prevents us from seeing the real truth.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.