Old Manchester

Shaggy said:
hilts said:
[bigimg]https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5020/5448560692_0febd0c612.jpg[/bigimg]

The joyous fort ardwick, i used to collect insurance money round there in the day, how i survived i don't know

[bigimg]http://www.mancky.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/crescents7.jpg[/bigimg]

Sunny hulme, looks like Chernobyl

That's the kind of stuff Hilts, Shooting Stars was filmed round the Hulme crescents I think, any more bleak 60's and 70's Brutalist architecture photo's of the good old days ? any of the 50's and 60's of a City and the last vestiges of its crumbling industrial past ?

This thread has been hijacked by posters waffling on about old record shops, bizarre really

isab23502 said:
That's thesame as my Dad and his parents - moved to Boland (?) Road in Wyth and went to Yew Tree school. Did you know any Manns there?

101toMR said:
I lived in moss side from 0-7 years old before moving to Wythenshawe.All these types of threads show me is that I'm getting older and things change around you,maybe they've changed for the better but nostalgia prevents us from seeing the real truth.

I used to live on Hockely rd the flats just off Boland rd.

From around 1967 ish.
Baguley hall school and Newall Green etc,If your dad was that age I probably know him by a nickname if I knew him.

101toMR said:
isab23502 said:
That's thesame as my Dad and his parents - moved to Boland (?) Road in Wyth and went to Yew Tree school. Did you know any Manns there?

101toMR said:
I lived in moss side from 0-7 years old before moving to Wythenshawe.All these types of threads show me is that I'm getting older and things change around you,maybe they've changed for the better but nostalgia prevents us from seeing the real truth.

From around 1967 ish.
Baguley hall school and Newall Green etc,If your dad was that age I probably know him by a nickname if I knew him.

They'd gone by then mate - moved to Timperley, then to North Wales. Must have just missed you!

isab23502 said:
101toMR said:
isab23502 said:

From around 1967 ish.

They'd gone by then mate - moved to Timperley, then to North Wales. Must have just missed you!

Timperley was the posh end.
Probably wouldn't have mixed with the likes of me anyway ;-)

28wcqwj.jpg

Sunny Hulme

I guess I was rather privileged in growing up away from the tougher parts of Manchester, but I still remember going to see my Grandad at work in the 1970s. He ran a chemist's shop on Claremont Road in Moss Side, and I used to feel rather nervous (and very white) when I would go and see him. Working in a deprived part of the city was really his calling though, as he could get on with anyone and everyone, although my Grandma was always annoyed that he retired with loads of his customers owing him money from year's of giving free hand-outs that he just wrote off!

A couple of weeks ago I was up in Manchester for work. I decided to walk from Piccadilly station to where I was going just off Deansgate.

Going down Piccadilly approach and along market Street, I remember thinking that almost every single shop that I remembered from back in the day (well, the 80s) had gone. Piccadilly records, the blood transfusion centre, Hurleys for Golf, Hurleys sports, Spudulike, all gone.

I saw one shop, and one shop only, that I remember was there back in the day. Just the one.

Anyone care to have a guess which shop it was?

Chris in London said:
A couple of weeks ago I was up in Manchester for work. I decided to walk from Piccadilly station to where I was going just off Deansgate.

Going down Piccadilly approach and along market Street, I remember thinking that almost every single shop that I remembered from back in the day (well, the 80s) had gone. Piccadilly records, the blood transfusion centre, Hurleys for Golf, Hurleys sports, Spudulike, all gone.

I saw one shop, and one shop only, that I remember was there back in the day. Just the one.

Anyone care to have a guess which shop it was?

No i don't care to guess either post a picture of a shitty part of manchester or start a "i miss HMV" thread

you bloody woman

Dave Ewing's Back 'eader said:
ColinBellsjockstrap said:
I grew up in Gorton in the 1950's/60's....

All rows of neat terraced houses like Coronation Street.

It was better then...It's a disgrace now.

Some City centre shops, long gone..

Avegarde Gallery

Paperchase.

Mazel Radio

Hurley's. Tyldesley and Holbrook and Cooke's Sports.

Harry Hall cycles, Cathedral street.....(now relocated)

Sports motorcycles, Liverpool Road...(Steve Wynne)

Derek Johnstone motorcyles.

Jack Bottomley's....Motorcycle spares..

Beatties models

Bradford model railway exchange...Picadilly Plaza

Brentford nylons

Lewis's

Bauer Millett...(Peter Street)

Cinephone cinema....(dirty mac essential)

Robinson's records

Central Radio ..(Shudehill)

Godley's/White & Kaye/Stensby's...all Shudehill.

Rofe's gunshop...Piccadilly.

Doll's hospital...Piccadilly.

Princess Road sports depot

The Model shop...(Bootle street)

Tib street chip shop.

A chip shop on Tib Street. I only remember pet shops! Dozens of 'em!

tiny crooked wooden stairs and condensation on the shash windows best fish chips and peas I've ever had real nostalgia rush there I am actually salivating
always a real treat when I was in town with my Gran

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.