Otamendi

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was a simple question. Name some 20 year olds playing or even in the squad of teams at a similar level to City. My guess, you can't.
There'll be countless players of a similar level to Denayer around Europe still playing development football or on loan.

It's not my opinion, it's fact. You are entitled to want him as our 3rd or 4th choice centre half, but it's highly unusual to see players of his age at that level.

Chris Smalling is now growing into a decent looking footballer, it's taken how long? Wasn't he playing Sunday league at Denayer's age?
Verane
kovacic
Hojbjerg
Gaudinho
zouma, chelsea also looking at signing a twenty year old

Anymore you want?

You need to show a bit of confidence with young player though like liverpool did with sterling or spurs did with kane. Not what chelsea do which is send them on loan every year.

Dont really see what more he can, young player of the season in scotland last season, motm against france and was propably our best defender in pre season.
Sorry to be so blunt, but what have Spurs or Liverpool won recently. It's piss easy giving youngsters a chance when you have no ambition but when you are aiming to be one of the top clubs in Europe and arguably the world then it becomes risk that has to be managed more carefully and cautiously. Should we put that at risk in order to keep a a academy prospect on board, regardless of his quality. I for one, wouldn't. Denayer needs us far more than we need Denayer.

It's funny that everyone is wanking themselves silly over DeBruyne for 50 mil, still people lament us not signing Hazard, our captain is Belgium's cb, Spurs have two of their cbs, & the best player on their team by a fucking street, in two of their last 3 internationals, is being talked about like he is fuck all & can't even be trusted to fill in any position at City.

Joke.

Denayer has played 3 times for Belgium (competitive games against Israel and Wales, a friendly against France), and 44 times, in his career, for someone's first team, and that someone was Celtic. Regular appearances, and top performances, against the likes of Kilmarnock, Dundee and Ross County are all well and good, but they're not exactly footballing powerhouses. I think it's possible you're overrating where Denayer is currently with regards to his game.

Even if we don't sign Otamendi Denayer is still likely to play less than 20 times for City this season (with Kompany and Mangala getting the lion's share of starts). There's a strong argument that, with so little first team experience, and at such a lower standard, he'd actually benefit more from a full season as a regular starter in one of Europe's top divisions than he would playing a support role for City.

Clubs that develop their own players, trust them & risk relying on them from time to time, because it is important.

If you look at what you have posted, then it means no young player will ever play for City. We can always find a player who, if we don't sign them, we could be said to be 'missing out' on strengthening, as opposed to promoting a kid. Always. Even when Messi was a kid, he wasn't the absolute best player Barca could have had. He was used because he was good enough to play a part not because he was perfect. Same with Giggs at Utd. He wasn't the best winger in the league at 19 there were better, older players. They could afford to sign better. None of those kids were the best. They chose to trust them & develop them. And won the title.

Not sure Messi's a valid comparison mate, he was more or less ready to slot straight into Barca's first XI straight from La Masia. He was that good.

I agree with the point though, there'll always be a player out there who'd make a better short term fix than giving a talented young player a shout. If you have that attitude you'll never blood in a young player into the side.

Denayer's the closest thing we've had to a proper ready made academy graduate since the takeover IMO, and we've shown a complete lack of trust in him.

Denayer has played 3 times for Belgium (competitive games against Israel and Wales, a friendly against France), and 44 times, in his career, for someone's first team, and that someone was Celtic. Regular appearances, and top performances, against the likes of Kilmarnock, Dundee and Ross County are all well and good, but they're not exactly footballing powerhouses. I think it's possible you're overrating where Denayer is currently with regards to his game.

Even if we don't sign Otamendi Denayer is still likely to play less than 20 times for City this season (with Kompany and Mangala getting the lion's share of starts). There's a strong argument that, with so little first team experience, and at such a lower standard, he'd actually benefit more from a full season as a regular starter in one of Europe's top divisions than he would playing a support role for City.
Well argued post. Spot on.

Look, if we line up in the cup competitions like this, Denayer will see at least 15 appearances this season(unless we get an early BIG match against a top 6 teams, then it's less certain).

Sagna....Denayer.....Mangala or Otamendi...Clichy

..........Delph........Fernando or DeMichelis........
......................Nasri..................

Couple in international travel and the hectic pace from Nov-Feb and he'll get 20 games.

Well he certainly wouldn't have to be registered in the PL squad due to being under 21, so we'll have another foreign player to register when Otamendi comes in as he goes out on loan.

The numbers are also a bit more complicated for the CL squad by all accounts.
As he is U21 he will not count as a foreign born player. With Otamendi coming in however, we will have our quota of 17 foreign born players over 21. Look for Fernando or Zuculin (most likely) to leave/go on loan if we want De Bruyne

He could have signed a professional contract with a decent level team.

He is a title winner with Celtic. He is a whole fucking universe better than Rekik, who is a title winner for PSV & now a senior pro. His recent performances for Belgium piss all over Vincent Kompany's. All he lacks is experience.

Patience is not playing as 1st choice, not putting up with being 5th choice. He deserves to play football.

By signing a new long term deal the club has shown him that he is part of our future.

Players will play when the club feel they are ready. I'd pick Otamendi over Denayer every day of the week and twice on Sunday at this moment in time.

Anyone who remotely thinks that Denayer is currently the better option does not have a clue about football.

Also, why on earth do people just assume we have a concrete starting 11 and the rest will struggle for game time?

It's a squad game and if we want to compete in all competitions then we will need top players and hungry players.

Last season seen us play Milner up front despite having 3 strikers. Likewise Vinny has been known to have injuries.

If Denayer stays I'd expect him to have around 20 appearances for the first team this season, even more if he takes his chance.

We have top competition and its up to him to prove himself. The day we turn down top available players on the off chance that an unproven 20 year old can make the difference is the day we accept mid table mediocrity.

Not sure Messi's a valid comparison mate, he was more or less ready to slot straight into Barca's first XI straight from La Masia. He was that good.

I agree with the point though, there'll always be a player out there who'd make a better short term fix than giving a talented young player a shout. If you have that attitude you'll never blood in a young player into the side.

Denayer's the closest thing we've had to a proper ready made academy graduate since the takeover IMO, and we've shown a complete lack of trust in him.

He wasn't totally good enough though, evident in his appearance stats. He was eased in slowly over two season. And that's Messi. He was very raw initially still.

If Denayer stays I'd expect him to have around 20 appearances for the first team this season, even more if he takes his chance.

We have top competition and its up to him to prove himself. The day we turn down top available players on the off chance that an unproven 20 year old can make the difference is the day we accept mid table mediocrity.

I strongly agree with the second half of this, although I think you're being a bit optimistic to think he'll make 20 first team appearances this season. IMHO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.