Pep- dont expect......

To be honest, I'd like to see more of our British players get an opportunity. Byrne is definitely a better player than Manu Garcia right now, and deserves a shot ahead of him or Aleix, who I think has the most potential out of all three.

I'd also like to see Ash Smith-Brown get a shot before Maffeo at right back and, considering he's just signed a new deal, it might be a possibility. I really rate Maffeo though and would like to see him playing regularly out on loan somewhere first.

Barker is another player I'd like to see with the first team but I'm not sure whether he has the desire/work rate to impress Pep.

How do the Irish feel about being referred to as British these days? ;)

I don't feel there's any young British lads who are good enough at the 18/19 age range, seems there's whole bunch in the age groups below that. Sorry Angus Gunn is one I feel may be good enough be a loan is best for him. But I do agree about Byrne, he deserves a shot

That's a good question regarding Diaz ( co-incidentally he is starring for Spain under 17's v Italy at the moment). It is very hard to judge a youngster when they are progressing from age 14-19 as to whether they will make it in the Premier. I remember John Bostock at Palace who everyone was raving about and he played for England at every junior level when Spurs bought him and he struggled. Others who I thought were too small and wouldn't adjust to life in the Premier have done so eg Scholes.

When we last won the Youth Cup we saw 3 players go on to have careers in the Prem, Sturridge, Trippier and Mee, which is a good percentage. I would have thought Chelsea after dominating at this level for so long would have brought more through. Not an exact science, but my guess is that Diaz will adapt to the rough and tumble of the Prem.

Ye its hard to tell but if they have the desire alongside the ability they'll make it. There's a whole host of players who are lightweight but either have exceptional ball control and football IQ or have the desire ( or both ) Ousmanne Dembele who Dortmund just signed is extremely slight but he's n exceptional player so it doesn't matter as much, he'll of course fill out as he gets older. Mahrez is another.

How do the Irish feel about being referred to as British these days? ;)

I don't feel there's any young British lads who are good enough at the 18/19 age range, seems there's whole bunch in the age groups below that. Sorry Angus Gunn is one I feel may be good enough be a loan is best for him. But I do agree about Byrne, he deserves a shot

Ha. My mistake...

But, yeah, the general quality of the Brits doesn't seem as great at the minute, although who would've thought Kane would reach the level he has when he was 18/19.

I don't see why Barker, Adarabioyo, Bryan, etc, couldn't make it as far as he has if they get the chance.

It's all about being given the opportunity.

Ha. My mistake...

But, yeah, the general quality of the Brits doesn't seem as great at the minute, although who would've thought Kane would reach the level he has when he was 18/19.

I don't see why Barker, Adarabioyo, Bryan, etc, couldn't make it as far as he has if they get the chance.

It's all about being given the opportunity.

Haha. Great point about Kane, I was one who was surprised they still had him on their books after his continuous loaning out. Oh I forgot about Ada. Bryan is weird for me, sometimes I think, he deserves a chance, others I'm like nah ain't good enough. I get the vibe Barker doesn't have the right attitude, looks a a party loving guy to me. Have to be super talented to get away with that attitude.

None of us know who he has in mind.
I'm probably being too pragmatic but I'd definitely want 2 cb's and 2 cm's.
My first priority is, don't get beat.

I think the "defensive issue/problems" will be partly/greatly sorted when the lack of a properly structured midfield is addressed. We have 3 really good centre halves with Denayer returning as well.

Kompany's fitness is a concern but both otto and mangala are good centre halves but a lack of cover in midfield has totally exposed them at times as has the ineffective Kolorov.

Depends on how the people at the club rate Denayer for me whether we need another centre half....Laporte is obviously a target but if he is the replacement for Mdm then we will have 4 very good centre halves plus Denayer (who Ive never seen play really but is clearly rated highly (Also read somewhere that he may be cover for right back position)

So if we are getting defenders then we only need one centre half.

Id say Left back is more urgent. Ive seen a little of Maffeo and Im not sure he is good enough yet to make the step up..id be happier with a more established left back.

I think Aleix Garcia has a good chance to break in. He's pretty calm on the ball and has good long range passing. I could see him being back up to give Gundogan, Kroos or whoever we get as first choice. I could also see Denayer playing rightback, centerhalf or on the right side if we play 3 at the back depending on what formation we play and who Pep decides to rest etc. He's decent on the ball and has pretty good pace. Honestly I don't see Adarabioyo making it. He's a decent defender, but horrible on the ball. Pep wouldn't want a center half who can't make a decent pass.

I think Aleix Garcia has a good chance to break in. He's pretty calm on the ball and has good long range passing. I could see him being back up to give Gundogan, Kroos or whoever we get as first choice. I could also see Denayer playing rightback, centerhalf or on the right side if we play 3 at the back depending on what formation we play and who Pep decides to rest etc. He's decent on the ball and has pretty good pace. Honestly I don't see Adarabioyo making it. He's a decent defender, but horrible on the ball. Pep wouldn't want a center half who can't make a decent pass.
Adarabioyo is great on the ball, you dont know what you are talking about.

Adarabioyo is great on the ball, you dont know what you are talking about.
Yep,the Chelsea game was more the exception......he is usually comfortable and composed on the ball,not yet brilliant..... but plenty of time to improve.Ive said it before but he could be similar to Ferdinand with the right coaching and opportunity.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.