Players who did much better than you expected at City

Andy Morrison. Looked like a pub team footballer but had the balls to take charge and drag us up at a time when it was too hard for a lot of players to cope with the expectations of the fans. Not even Kompany has the influence as a captain that he had at the time

Gareth Barry for me. I thought it was another typical Hughes signing - someone who had Premier League experience, but wasn't good enough. He turned out to be absolutely superb for City, and probably the most underrated player we've ever had.

People loved DeJong because he flew in to tackles, but in 2011/12, Barry took his spot because he had the intelligence and the quality on the ball that meant we didn't need an out and out defensive midfielder in there. David Silva voted Barry as his player of the season that year, and he knows a thing or two about football intelligence.

Terry Cooke? Fuck me some of you lot are easily pleased!

Toure/Kompany/zab/Tevez/Aguero

I must admit with the exception of Zab who was an unknown quantity and was a bit rough and ready at first the others I expected to do well. I'm always a bit nervous about any new player not knowing how they will settle in etc, but I had decent expectations for all of them. Yaya was a player I'd been really excited about for a while, I remember him running through the rags midfield when at Barca.
Great players all of them but with the exception of Zab although their success was very welcome and they are maybe 'overachievers' it wasn't a surprise.

Richard Dunne. At first I thought he was a fat, drunken waster but he turned things around and became one of the best centre halves in the Premier League.

Occasionally he looked clumsy but he was the rock of our defense and always seemed to improve the players who partnered him at the back.

Would have looked comfortable in a League winning side.

Fernandinho, by virtue of the fact that I'd rarely seen him play (can't say I go out of my way to watch Ukrainian football!)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.