Premier League to discuss safe standing!

It's going to happen. It's a matter of 'when' and not 'if' now. We just need to make sure a ticket is for 'the standing section' as opposed to a specific plot.

SmG0OJm.gif

Appreciate the response but don't be pedantic. You know exactly what kippax81 meant.....
The HFG have become the most powerful support group in the country. I attended a meeting 14 years ago in a hotel in Liverpool. 8, maybe 9 family members there telling me they do not support standing and never will which I get and understand but didn't agree with them (nor they with me). Liverpool council are shit scared of going against them, (the Lib Dems had safe standing as a policy in the last but one general election but Liverpool Lib Dem council refused to back it) as are the majority of MP's publicly.
As mentioned above, if the legislation is changed, no club will be forced to have safe standing areas. If Middlesbrough decide they want to, under what basis can the HFG object?

I don't want anyone to lose their life in a train / tram crash, but i am not objecting to trains running in Croydon today or tomorrow.....

Thank you MES for that response, and yes what you typed is what I was alluding to.

My mother's partner is a dipper, of many years as it happens. used to stand on the kop for years blah blah blah. I have tried on many occasions to discuss football with him, as I also have with many LFC "fans" that used to frequent a pub I used to run. It was and is like trying to bang ones head against a wall. They usually have a view that LFC is the centre of the footballing universe and I now take the stance that I will not enter a debate with any of them on footballing matters.

One eyed and deluded the lot of 'em.

Yeah, this is what I was alluding to when I said Liverpool fans who support safe standing are in a trickier position than the rest of us when it comes to voicing their support for it.

While I fully empathise with the HFSG, it's clear that standing itself wasn't to blame for what happened at Hillsborough. Even Lord Justice Taylor said in his report into the disaster that standing at football matches wasn't intrinsically unsafe. What happened that day was down to a combination of factors and right at the top of the list was police incompetence in allowing more and more fans to enter the already overcrowded central pens. And aside from the police cocking up royally on the day, while I accept that the Leppings Lane End was a dangerous terrace, that danger wasn't down to standing. The fact that fans were fenced in and had nowhere to go - forwards or backwards - if a situation of overcrowding developed was the issue. The safe standing areas we see today at German grounds and up at Celtic are as far removed from the fenced in terraces we were accustomed to in the 70's and 80's and as such you're far more likely to incur injuries in seated sections than modern safe standing sections. Plenty of times I've come home from a match with bruises on my legs as a result of celebrating goals and getting buffeted against the seating.

Like you, I think it's just a matter of time before it comes in now and if it does it will be a shame if Anfield stays all-seater because there's clearly huge support amongst Liverpool fans.

Anyone that went to Hillsborough at that time, knows the tunnel was the magnet when you walked into that little courtyard after the turnstiles. The terrace was the same as Villa Park or the Baseball ground, or any other small away end. It was too crowded, but that was the norm, so it was just accepted. The Kop was sometimes unbearable too, we knew no better. Funnily enough, Maine Road was the only away I went to that had seating behind the goal and it felt weird, even though everyone stood. Standing wasn't the problem, it was how fans were treated, standing is a red herring.
I agree, standing behind seats causes more danger than safe standing areas and I've got those bruises too.

Wasn't sure where to post this or if it has been posted before but Orlando City have safe standing and an area for flares (pyrotechnics not trousers!)

'MLS side Orlando City have opened their new stadium, which has a safe standing area and a special section for fans wanting to use flares at matches.' (Daily Mail)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.