Premier League to discuss safe standing!

I've got it on pretty good authority that Margaret Aspinall - the chairwoman of the HFSG - who was 100% opposed to safe standing for many years, has softened her stance of late. There's still a lot of resistance amongst some of the Hillsborough families and I'm sure that will continue in some quarters but off the record a lot of the major clubs appear to be in favour and I reckon it may happen in the next couple of seasons.

Incidentally, a majority of Liverpool fans have been in favour of safe standing for years but those fans are in a more difficult position than the rest of us in voicing their support because of the obvious sentimental issue regarding the Hillsborough families that are against it.
Actually the Liverpool fans are in the best position to tell the HFG that they want standing as the voice of opposition is best coming from within Liverpool rather than outside it.

Actually the Liverpool fans are in the best position to tell the HFG that they want standing as the voice of opposition is best coming from within Liverpool rather than outside it.
They'll just say it's Chelsea fans pretending to be Liverpool and ignore it.

If the scousers are against safe standing... well don't fucking stand at Anfield then. Surely if this ever gets passed it doesn't have to be compulsory at every ground?

As much as everyone can sympathise over Hillsborough, it was a different era back then and football has evolved. I don't see why Liverpool fans think they have a divine right to dictate policy to the rest of us. After all, it's not like they all stand in the Kop every home game is it?

If the scousers are against safe standing... well don't fucking stand at Anfield then. Surely if this ever gets passed it doesn't have to be compulsory at every ground?

As much as everyone can sympathise over Hillsborough, it was a different era back then and football has evolved. I don't see why Liverpool fans think they have a divine right to dictate policy to the rest of us. After all, it's not like they all stand in the Kop every home game is it?

Can you show me where Liverpool fans are trying to dictate policy? I must have missed that. The Club will never come out in support obviously, but most fans are in favour of safe standing. It's a debate that has been going on for years. Yes the Kop stands, not for every game, but when it's necessary and that will carry on anyway.

Can you show me where Liverpool fans are trying to dictate policy? I must have missed that. The Club will never come out in support obviously, but most fans are in favour of safe standing. It's a debate that has been going on for years. Yes the Kop stands, not for every game, but when it's necessary and that will carry on anyway.
Appreciate the response but don't be pedantic. You know exactly what kippax81 meant.....
The HFG have become the most powerful support group in the country. I attended a meeting 14 years ago in a hotel in Liverpool. 8, maybe 9 family members there telling me they do not support standing and never will which I get and understand but didn't agree with them (nor they with me). Liverpool council are shit scared of going against them, (the Lib Dems had safe standing as a policy in the last but one general election but Liverpool Lib Dem council refused to back it) as are the majority of MP's publicly.
As mentioned above, if the legislation is changed, no club will be forced to have safe standing areas. If Middlesbrough decide they want to, under what basis can the HFG object?

I don't want anyone to lose their life in a train / tram crash, but i am not objecting to trains running in Croydon today or tomorrow.....

Last edited:
Appreciate the response but don't be pedantic. You know exactly what kippax81 meant.....
The HFG have become the most powerful support group in the country. I attended a meeting 14 years ago in a hotel in Liverpool. 8, maybe 9 family members there telling me they do not support standing and never will which I get and understand but didn't agree with them (nor they with me). Liverpool council are shit scared of going against them, (the Lib Dems had safe standing as a policy in the last but one general election but Liverpool Lib Dem council refused to back it) as are the majority of MP's publicly.
As mentioned above, if the legislation is changed, no club will be forced to have safe standing areas. If Middlesbrough decide they want to, under what basis can the HFG object?

I don't want anyone to lose their life in a train / tram crash, but i am not objecting to trains running in Croydon today or tomorrow.....

Point taken, it just came across as unnecessarily confrontational and I usually stay away from replying, as I'm a guest on another team's forum.
HFSG will never support standing, I don't think the Club would be keen either and then you have the Council, Police, various diverse supporters groups, there has been issues with the Disabled supporters group on the Kop, so they may not be in favour and those who are have to tread sensitively. Most fans would support standing, as we stand much of the time now. My gut feeling is that standing will come in around the country, but Liverpool will remain all-seater.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.