Quitting social media

Having read this thread I'm starting to wonder why I still have it.

I first got on it I think back in 2005 when it was novel and simple. Over time it has been a good way of keeping in touch with people and for sharing a laugh with mates. But nowadays I barely use it, except to post a few nice holiday snaps and the odd funny video or article.

I guess I'm getting to the age now where my social circles are shrinking and I care a lot less about what old school and uni friends are up to. Anyone who I still want or need to keep in touch with, I do so on whatsapp and e-mail. I use Twitter for my newsfeed and I use Instagram for looking at and sharing nice photos (i.e. perving).

I'm glad social media wasn't around when I was at school, as I can only imagine the sort of stress and pressure it must put on teenagers. I also think that since the advent of social media, relationships and break-ups have been made a lot harder; I'm sure we've all checked on up an ex and compared ourselves to the new boyfriend - it's depressing and self-destructive, yet so compulsive.

Having said all that, if it wasn't for Facebook I wouldn't have found out about the death of an old uni housemate a couple of months ago. We'd lost touch and both changed numbers, and he had moved to Uganda. Obviously we weren't part of one another's lives any more (otherwise we'd have still been in touch) but we were once close mates and I hate to think about not knowing he had passed away.

I want to delete it, but part of me knows I would also miss it. I guess that's part of it's addictive appeal, and shows how ingrained it has become in modern life.

Whatsapp is owned by Facebook now bud, so your privacy is even more breached by this CIA exercise.

My advice is to install this app called Signal.
It's similar to whatsapp, except it's far more secure with messages encrypted.

Whatsapp is owned by Facebook now bud, so your privacy is even more breached by this CIA exercise.

My advice is to install this app called Signal.
It's similar to whatsapp, except it's far more secure with messages encrypted.

W'sA got sold to FB on the basis that they wouldn't touch it or place adverts on it, I believe, so that includes encryption.

FB has had it for 2 years and I heard that both W'sA and 'Signal' are as safe as each other.

W'sA got sold to FB on the basis that they wouldn't touch it or place adverts on it, I believe, so that includes encryption.

FB has had it for 2 years and I heard that both W'sA and 'Signal' are as safe as each other.
Wrong.

When Facemook bought Whatsapp, they issued a new privacy policy, in which you gave your consent (or not) for certain allowances of privacy being breached.

If you trust Zuckerberg you are a brainwashed idiot.

I'm happy using Signal knowing that it is open source and not owned by NWO Twats like him.

https://whispersystems.org/

If it's good enough for Edward Snowden it's good enough for me.

Wrong.

When Facemook bought Whatsapp, they issued a new privacy policy, in which you gave your consent (or not) for certain allowances of privacy being breached.

If you trust Zuckerberg you are a brainwashed idiot.

I'm happy using Signal knowing that it is open source and not owned by NWO Twats like him.

https://whispersystems.org/

If it's good enough for Edward Snowden it's good enough for me.

http://theintercept.com/2017/03/07/the-cia-didnt-break-signal-or-whatsapp-despite-what-youve-heard/

FB does have its uses but there's so many bellends on there... even people you've known for years and always thought of as sound can show a different side on there

Especially plastic rags after a result hasn't gone City's way

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.