Raheem Sterling - 2017/18 performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pellegrini thought he could help Sterling by putting his name on the teamsheet a few days before the match. Pep thought he would turn Sterlings' fortune at Anfield. But so far it failed. I continue to say Sterling should not start at Anfield and be brought on when the score or game is going for us to put the final nail in. That and only that will give him the confidence to start and do that lot. And believe me I really wanna see that mment, but as it is now he simply can't perform at Anfield.
I do hope he playes vs Newcastle and has a great game.

Reckon he'll get a goal against Newcastle. I'm sure he knows he didn't play well at Anfield and was frustrated. Would be a great sign of his progression if he could bounce back this weekend.

The problem Sterling has is he is very poor in beating his man one-on-one via the dribble. I've said this before, he is excellent at seeing and timing his runs. He also uses his quickness well; if he has a jump on you, you are not catching him, simple as that. The problem I have with him is when he goes against a fullback that is just as quick as him and is fairly good at defending, if he can't get behind him via his runs, he is totally useless because he cannot beat him on the dribble (like Sane can). He knows this, and therefore doesn't even really try. You can tell very quickly when Sterling is not going to have a good game simply by observing him vs his fullback for a few minutes. If the fullback is committed to defending and not attacking (like in the Liverpool game), plays him closely and is just as quick, you can simply forget about Sterling for that game.

Still having a good year, banging in goals, so kudos to him. Just need to be aware of his limitations and accept them. If you ask me, Sanchez would have been an improvement for such situations (NOT ALL SITUATIONS, before someone jumps on me) and Sterling probably had the most to worry about if Sanchez was coming, but since he's not, so we'll have to make due with him.

The problem Sterling has is he is very poor in beating his man one-on-one via the dribble. I've said this before, he is excellent at seeing and timing his runs. He also uses his quickness well; if he has a jump on you, you are not catching him, simple as that. The problem I have with him is when he goes against a fullback that is just as quick as him and is fairly good at defending, if he can't get behind him via his runs, he is totally useless because he cannot beat him on the dribble (like Sane can). He knows this, and therefore doesn't even really try. You can tell very quickly when Sterling is not going to have a good game simply by observing him vs his fullback for a few minutes. If the fullback is committed to defending and not attacking (like in the Liverpool game), plays him closely and is just as quick, you can simply forget about Sterling for that game.

Still having a good year, banging in goals, so kudos to him. Just need to be aware of his limitations and accept them. If you ask me, Sanchez would have been an improvement for such situations (NOT ALL SITUATIONS, before someone jumps on me) and Sterling probably had the most to worry about if Sanchez was coming, but since he's not, so we'll have to make due with him.

tell us you dont mean that

Sorry mate but that's some first class bullshit. He's a brilliant dribbler and I'd say Sane is more reliant on his speed than Sterling is.

Christ on a bike

In contrast to others above I do agree.
Maybe there are different definitions of "dribble"? But you where talking about "beating his man one-on-one via the dribble".
I agree he is lacking some special degree of ball control to do so when picking up pace.

His weapons are running into free space and one-two's to get behind the defence
AND he is much more dangerous in front of goal this season!

So, lads and lasses, maybe you can find some examples of those "dribbles" in these 2 videos:
-> (mute the music btw, it's awful...)

I can only find 2 dribbles at 5:14 in the first one, the rest are nice scenes but no dribbles beating his man.

In contrast to others above I do agree.
Maybe there are different definitions of "dribble"? But you where talking about "beating his man one-on-one via the dribble".
I agree he is lacking some special degree of ball control to do so when picking up pace.

His weapons are running into free space and one-two's to get behind the defence
AND he is much more dangerous in front of goal this season!

So, lads and lasses, maybe you can find some examples of those "dribbles" in these 2 videos:
-> (mute the music btw, it's awful...)

I can only find 2 dribbles at 5:14 in the first one, the rest are nice scenes but no dribbles beating his man.

The second clip has plenty of scenes where he uses his brilliant technique to go past the defender.

Yep, this is sterling down to a tee. He’s great in tight spaces and he’s even better at timing his runs to get into space. His weakness for me is like what you described. When 1v1 against a full back with space in behind, he struggles a bit. People will disagree and see this post as being harsh on sterling, but it’s not really. He’s a class footballer and has many strengths, but he does struggle against some full backs. It’s like sane struggles in tight spaces sometimes but thrives when taking players on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.