Rate The Season

Despite the 2nd place finish I did not enjoy many of the matches, so less than average for me.

The games against Chelsea showed me that we were at least their equals and in all probability actually better than them with the players at our disposal. Yet with Pellegrini persisting with his 442 and rotating defenders for fun we allow them to romp to the title, a better manager would have won the PL with our squad.

Disappointing ... not that we didn't win anything, just the fact we didn't start playing like the way we can until there was 10 games to go and nothing to really play for.

The season on a whole was so so. We were poor at times but then we went on a run of great results. I think were not too far behind Chelsea. I think trying to win back to back titles are always hard. I think next season we will be better and more competitive and closer and competing for the title.
The standards of some players dipped this season. ZABA , Kompany , Yaya and to a extent some of our attackers were way below standard. Dzeko had a shocker and Jovetic after a decent start just lost all confidence which is sad. I think Jovetic should be held onto for next season just cant see that happening. Bony big move next season we will hopefully see the best of him. The saving grace was Kun amazing forward our world class player.
The signings were poor on a whole Mangala , Fernando , Bony, Sagna , Willie and Lampard all 6 added little to us and didnt improve us. There is still time for Mangala , Fernando and Bony and I expect them next season be a lot better than last season. Saying that Mangala looked bettter and more comfortable with his run of games at the end of the season. MP will need to get a settled back 4 asap next season. As for next season we need Kompany and be it Mangala or MD well protected in the Champions league and no more 4-4-2 in these games.
The Yaya bollocks I hope the club do something and quick about his agent and him we cant have a half arsed Yaya again this season. We now need to look at getting in a replacement for him now. In view to take over from Yaya and push him on to give us the Yaya of 2 seasons ago. He needs a rival for his place to get the best out of him. A younger Lampard type would of be brilliant.
The ins or outs I hope the club learn from this season and dont let anything like last season happen again. The players who want to leave or wont sign a new contract time to show them the door sooner rather than later. For all the good Milner has been this season he has been a let down with running down his contract. Not giving the club anything. I do hope he signs but I also hope the club look at better options than Milner I wouldnt expect him to stay beyond next season even if he does resign with us. I think he has burnt his bridges during the contract dealings and the club will have his replacement lined up by now. Hopefully we will see more of a active City in the market getting the deals done ASAP.

Trophies won: 0
Trophies challenged for: 0
Quality of performances: totally inconsistent, huge runs of form Stoke would just about be happy with, our quick passing disappeared for months, we were boring to watch for huge parts of the season.
Big games: we won just 1 of the 6 v the other top 4 teams, that's poor. And we got demolished with barely a whimper in Trafford Park. Worst Derby performance for 20 years.

You can about count on one hand the amount of games we were really impressive in.

In a season like this we have to finish in the top 3, have to. And we did, we finished 2nd. So kind of let's us off the hook but we were fucking appalling in the cups bar the last half hour v Bayern at home and one game in Rome. Newcastle hammered us, Boro embarrassed us and Barça demolished us and with if they'd been more clinical they could have scored a huge amount more than they did against us.

I would say, for the expectations we now have as a set of fans and from the CEO, Chairman and Owner...and the huge hike in SC prices last season (mine went up £67.50 last year)...I'd give our season a 5 out of 10.

Last edited by a moderator:
Despite the 2nd place finish I did not enjoy many of the matches, so less than average for me.

The games against Chelsea showed me that we were at least their equals and in all probability actually better than them with the players at our disposal. Yet with Pellegrini persisting with his 442 and rotating defenders for fun we allow them to romp to the title, a better manager would have won the PL with our squad.
Correct!

6/10 for me - in two words - complacent & stagnant

Despite finishing 2nd, we were out of the title race by March, embarrassing in both domestic cups & limited in Europe, group stage don't forget saw some of the most abject defensive displays in years, players attitude was lax, tactics were found out & often we were actually quite dull to watch, no pace, no tempo.

When the pressure for the title was off and we looked like we might struggle for top 4 the team seemed to give a toss again. Amazing we've come so far and I'm disappointed. First game in 1977, watched us through thick & thin & anorexic - thus year I've actually missed a few games out of choice. Hoping the players give a better showing next season.

I can't believe the 8's thrown out earlier in the thread. Yes we finished second however that ignores the fact that for a good amount of remaining games we were mathematically out of contention for the league. It was impossible. We limped out of the domestic cups and failed to meet our European target. 5/10, complacent.

4/10

We didn't play anything like last season barring two decent spells of form; one of those spells was when the title had subsequently all but left our grasp.

The Champions League was about the same. We could have been hammered on aggregate this season despite the aggregate score being lower this year, but we essentially repeated the same mistakes in an identical tie as we did last year. The group stage this time around however, was less inspiring than last seasons and we qualified by the skin of our teeth (albeit by two difficult matches against good opposition)

The League and F.A. Cups? Don't get me started, it's easy to see why they fall under the category of 'regression' in comparison to last season.

And this is the thing, this year is not a bad year all in all. As we all agree, it's a much better place to be than the mire of our recent history. We have though, set the bar high with our recent successes, and our clubs ambition should be to do it every year - or at least fight like they can, the lack of desire and competitiveness this season (and like 2013 barring the F.A. Cup run), is what makes this campaign the more disappointing. We can choose what comparatives we wish to in order to form a perspective on this season. Choosing the shit served up in the prior 35 years would rate this a successful season (and rightly so in that context), but comparing with this squad's [and Manuel's] season that went before, it's been a huge let down.

I'm rating last season a 7/10. Could argue it was worse but I love this club.

Feel like it wasn't that bad. There were some great highs. We didn't make it easy for ourselves in Europe but hope we get a kinder draw next year. Anyway I really loved Sergio's hat-trick against Bayern and our classy win in Rome.

I was as excited as everyone when we were level on New Year's. Definitely thought we could challenge. Maybe didn't have as much excitement or feel-good factor in the dressing room this year as opposed to last. I did not enjoy losing to the teams just below us, but I am very happy we reclaimed our rightful place above them and played some very nice stuff at the end to finish 2nd. Special mention and congratulations to Agüero and Hart for securing us the Golden Boot and Glove.

I'm a fairly new supporter. Went to my first two games at the Etihad this year. Lost the first one, but won the last one which was amazing; that makes it a good season for me personally. I just hope we don't succumb to the horrible tactics which won the league this year. I feel we as a club really want to do it the right way. So here's to next season, hopefully some great signings and we will win the quadruple scoring the most goals yet somehow having to snatch victory from the jaws of defeat: the City way, just how I like it.

"We know what we are. We know what we are..."

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.