Rate The Season

Wilf Wild 1937 said:
5/10 bang average. Runners up in the main trophy.

4 is a pass ie top 3.
6 is top 3 plus a trophy (domestic cup)
7 is winning the PL/CL.
10 is winning all 4.

Think big people.
We're more like a Real Madrid than a Sunderland (no disrespect mean't - they were us pre takeover) these days.

yep and that's what I like about our club now they will feel it's been at least a 5/10 because they think big also..

5/10

Successive victories cannot paper over the domestic cracks, starting from the Charity Shield, and European chasms.

Time for a much smaller squad and to run them into the ground.

Gabriel said:
5/10

Successive victories cannot paper over the domestic cracks, starting from the Charity Shield, and European chasms.

Apart from the performances no other club would of beat Barcelona so bit unfair about the "European Chasm"

Good strong finish to the season adds hope for next season, disastrous Cup exits at the hands of Newcastle & Middlesborough real low points though...it was disappointing to go out of both cups early on with a whimper. I thought there would be trouble ahoy with some of our earlier performances...0-1 v Stoke was a taste of the up/down performance levels to come and indicative of a torpor and indifference that permeated chunks of our season.
Losing the chance of a new club record by duffing that 2 goal lead at home to Burnley was also disappointing and almost repeated a few days later at home to Sunderland, after that things went tits up for a few months.
Still, Mangala played well in the last month which bodes well and we could be ringing in some real quality in the summer with a bit of luck. Chelsea won't be as good next season in terms of only losing 3 games so there is every chance we could go close again.
Finishing well clear of Utd (9 points) after being 4 behind them after the disasterous derby defeat is the consolation prize. Upwards and onwards.
6/10

waspish said:
Gabriel said:
5/10

Apart from the performances no other club would of beat Barcelona so bit unfair about the "European Chasm"

All about opinions. Had Aguero not pulled us out of the mire against Bayern, and Hart hadn't saved us in Rome, we probably wouldn't even have been in Barcelona. We were dreadful in the European group stages, and while we may like to think we're narrowing the gap on Real/Bayern/Barcelona, I fear each of those clubs is pulling even further away from us.

Always next year, though. :-)

6/10

Capitulation in the domestic cups and league nowhere near good enough; I think we did ok in CL, through the group stage and knocked out by a resurgent Barca (and likely champs).

Hart & Aguero awards, best GD in the league, some of the most open and attractive football too....

waspish said:
Gabriel said:
5/10

Not really, actually. We only just scraped out of the group. Yes, it was yet another difficult draw. But we're going to keep on getting them until we make some sort of breakthrough (q/f or s/f). We just don't look capable of coming to terms with the challenges of European football. How far have we progressed since we first got into the CL? Hardly at all, I would say.

I read that psychologists have found that when asked to mark anything out of ten, people actually use six or seven as 'average'.

So on that basis, a five.

At best.

Didn't come within a mile of actually competing for any of the trophies on offer. Looked every bit as out of our depth in Europe as in previous years. Sure, we scored a handful against Barca, but the tie was all but over after 25 minutes of the first leg. Very disappointing for long periods in the league. Some of our poor runs could have been a lot worse, if it hadn't been for a visiting teams self-destructing within the first few minutes.

And then there are the cups.

Overall, we went from a squad perceived as by far the strongest to a squad percieved as poorly matched, overpriced, past it, lacking mentality.

So, I'm sorry, but a smooth end to the season cannot disguise that this has genuinely been a bad year.

And I'm struggling to see how a few good attacking midfielders will put things right. We are losing three central players, including our best, and our hardest working and most versatlie player. De Bruyne replaces Nasri, Yes. Firmino for Milner, could work, we'll see. Sterling replaces... Jovetic? Upgrade on Navas? Yes. Pogba for Yaya is swapping the most influential central player in the league for an incredible prospect who, naturally for a young lad, can be peripheral. Ages notwithstanding, that is a massive amount of money, and I reckon we come out evens in terms of ability.

Then you have to think, Lampard's replacement? What about Fernando being such a bust? Dzeko? A new LB? And how does any of this make Mangala a suitable partner for Kompany, or help Vincent rediscover some form?

I ask myself, how did we end up so well sorted on paper, but now dealing with all these problems?

When you have so many different 'symptoms', in so many different areas, I believe it strongly suggests they are symptoms of something else. A common factor, or factors.

Carefully diagnosing this is the first task, treating it is the second.

Good luck, Mr Chairman.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.